Cam observation...

eclipse5302

So I've got a 3100 that I am rebuilding using 3.1 Turbo parts to put in to my Cutlass, and I took the cam out. I then proceeded to compare it to the turbo 3.1 cam and guess what? They are identical. I checked, and checked and had someone else look at them. They are the same (other than the fact that the 3100 cam is a roller cam). The lobes are all at the same point on each cam. So is it a correct assumption that the TGP motor had a stock 3.1 cam?

Jason

I've always wondered about that. Would you measure the lift on the int and ex on both cams and post the dimensions. You might have to do a few to get an average. I measured all the lobs on my cam to see how bad it was worn. Pretty bad.

I remember hearing that someone put a regular 3.1 cam in a TGP engine and it was more powerful, so thats also why I thought it was special. Something about the regular 3.1 cam being more aggressive than the TGP cam. Oh well, I guess you can't always believe what you hear...

Jason

Yeah, thats what I thought too. I wish I would have looked into it further before (while I was rebuilding my engine)...I would have used one of those GMPartsDirect cams for mild turbo or something instead of using the old cam. I didn't want to put a cam in there that was going to affect drivibility or performance. Maybe I'll take it out later and put one of those cams in there.

Jason

I remember hearing that someone put a regular 3.1 cam in a TGP engine and it was more powerful, so thats also why I thought it was special. Something about the regular 3.1 cam being more aggressive than the TGP cam. Oh well, I guess you can't always believe what you hear...

You probably heard that from me. I was going on what Tom O'Connor told me.