2.8 / 3.1 complete tune-up procedure?

88Intl

It's easier to disassemble things once to get to everything, how's this as a tune-up for a high-mileage 2.8/3.1? Any components that should be checked or replaced, that I didnt list here?

1) use GM Top Engine Cleaner thru a vacuum line to decarbon engine as described here:

http://www.60degreev6.com/index.php?p=pages&pid=76

2) remove throttle body, EGR, and plenum for cleaning, clean EGR passages

3) remove injectors, have cleaned and flow-tested by F.I. service facility ($25-30 x 6 with new O-rings). Is there a good DIY cleaning method for these?

4) clean fuel pressure regulator with carb cleaner, reinstall with new O-rings. I'm not sure if cleaning is necessary or even good for the regulator, do they get gummy inside from fuel deposits?

5) replace distributor drive O-ring oil seal

6) label and remove wires from spark plugs. Remove valve covers (if easily accessible after plenum removed), clean and replace with new gaskets

7) replace PCV valve (and hose if hardened)

8) replace spark plugs (and wires if deteriorated)

9) replace plenum, EGR, and throttle body with new gaskets (are these gaskets sold as a set?) Replace hardened and cracked vacuum lines with new.

10) new air filter element (does K&N make a big difference for the price?)

11) engine oil and filter change to get rid of any crud loosened by the decarboning or valve cover removal

K&N will give you gas mileage, not really any NOTICEABLE power. Fluid and Filter on tranny. New serpentine belt (if necessary).
On my '96, I have noticed the difference only when running the A/C. With the K&N filter, it doesn't even seem like the A/C is on (minus the cold ass air coming out).

Do an overall check of all rubber hoses. Had a little one break on me, the one coming out of the heater core....also while you're at it, you could bypass the throttle body coolant lines!

you can get a upper intake manifold gasket set from your local auto parts store.....the ones made by fel-pro include both the plenum gaskets you need and a throttle body gasket, the EGR is sold seperately, or at least around here it is. hope this helps! Also, if you still have the stock black plastic vacuum lines under the plenum, you might wanna go ahead and change them to hi temperature silcone and/or rubber hoses, I broke mine in a couple places when I removed the plenum the other day :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

rather than have the coolant lines hooked up to the throttle body, I just connected them together so removing the TB is so much easier, and it stays cooler (doesnt do much for performance though...DUH)