TGP SWAP repair begins!! BEWARE 56 K

Gearhead43

In your second picture it looks like there are not any flex bellows in the cross-over? Maybe the wrap is just perfect..but curious...

Haha.. Your right. there isn't any flew bellows :lol: .. Not needed when the crossover is built for that car/engine :wink: .. Now if the crossover was being built to install on ANY 3.1 engine.. Then the flex bellows might be useful, as factory tolerances can vary slightly from engine to engine.

there isn't any flew bellows :lol: .. Not needed when the crossover is built for that car/engine :wink: ..

Good luck with that... :wink: 8)

I can almost hear it cracking now.

Guest TurboSedan

Haha.. Your right. there isn't any flew bellows :lol: .. Not needed when the crossover is built for that car/engine :wink: .. Now if the crossover was being built to install on ANY 3.1 engine.. Then the flex bellows might be useful, as factory tolerances can vary slightly from engine to engine.

you're not actually serious are you?

there isn't any flew bellows :lol: .. Not needed when the crossover is built for that car/engine :wink: ..

Good luck with that... :wink: 8)

I can almost hear it cracking now.

I can hear the stock one breaking too. What's your point? :lol:

yeah the x-over is made for the car, but the engine still moves and heats and cools at different rates, as the metals are different makes and thicknesses. I have done a shit load of research on the x-over, and you might as well do it right the first time and buy a Jeff M x-over, i was going to do it myself (buy the bellows and have a pro tig weld it who is my good friend) but, i have no jig to put it in therefore it won't line up. Glad to see your making progress, but i think it is a step in the wrong direction not to have a couple bellows in it. Think of it this way, Gm cuts cost at all costs (no pun intended) so if they put it there, it's there for a reason. Good luck with all you do and keep us updated, Jay

Guest TurboSedan

i actually wouldn't expect any cracking, since there are no flex bellows. i mean, where is it going to crack? but! i could imagine there would be some serious exhaust leak issues....

i actually wouldn't expect any cracking, since there are no flex bellows. i mean, where is it going to crack? but! i could imagine there would be some serious exhaust leak issues....

I think Jeff M. has a picture of a x-over somewhere on his website that didn't have bellows on it, I think it was cracked up a good bit. :oops:

It will crack like previously stated, from the different expansion/contraction qualities between the heads(aluminum) and the x-over(stainless steel). The only time I've seen a GM FWD V6 car without a flex joint(s) was when they have iron heads(3300,3800, etc.).

Hence why L36/L67 guys don't run flex joints. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it right now as it's pretty easy to take out the x-over. At the first sign of a crappy idle though, it would be the first thing I would look into.

• 4 months later...

Ryan,

Youcertainly seen to goof off at ClubL67.... Anyway.. I'm working alot too.. don't hve much time to do anything... But I did get PROJECT 89 up and running to serve as a Daily driver Projct TGP has p[rogressed some what .. But still have to get the Turbo and supporting components back together..

Ryan,

Youcertainly seen to goof off at ClubL67.... Anyway.. I'm working alot too.. don't hve much time to do anything... But I did get PROJECT 89 up and running to serve as a Daily driver Projct TGP has p[rogressed some what .. But still have to get the Turbo and supporting components back together..

I have visited CGP less then once every two weeks since school started. Just had a couple of free minutes this morning to check to see if you had replied to this thread. Now off to worky I go so I can go tell people what to do! :lol: Making 9 bucks an hour to bake bread and cookies, answer the phone and tell people what to do all day > * But only because I get all the free food I want 8) :lol: