My 45 minute 3.4 DOHC alternator repair- Write Up

slick

Ok, since everyone thinks this is such a PITA to do, and they take it to the shops, I'll just show you the ease way to get it done. Assuming none of your bolts are rusted and siezed, and nothing breaks while undoing stuff, this should only take you anywhere from 40 minutes to 1 hour tops. So, here it go's.

1: Disconnect negative battery terminal.

2: Remove passenger side wheel, jack up car, and place on jackstands.

3: Loosen the belt tensioner and remove the belt.

4: Place jack underneath the cradle, and jack it up so the jack is touching the cradle.

5: Remove the front subframe bolt (notice the rust, this was a michigan car its whole life)

373899_179_full.jpg

6: Remove the rear subframe bolt (again rusty)

373899_181_full.jpg

7: Lower the jack slowly. As you can see in the picture, the passenger side of the cradle is solely resting on the jack itself.

373899_180_full.jpg

8: Remove the CV Joint heat shield. On the 91-93 engines, you may not need to do this, due to the size difference in the alternators.

9: Undo the tie rod and swing it off to the side. On the 91-93 engines, you may not need to do this, due to the size difference in the alternators.

10: Disconnect the electrical connections from the alternator. You can see in this picture that the tie rod has been swung off to the side, and the electrical connections have been disconnected.

373899_182_full.jpg

11: Remove the alternator mounting bolts.

After removing these bolts, it is pretty self explanatory. It will drop right down and pretty much slide right out. I suggest putting some dielectric grease on your electrical connections, and putting regular grease on your subframe bolts to keep them from seazing up.

I would use anti-sieze instead of grease.

Other than that....thats how I do them.

I had to use what I had available at the time, or else I would have used anti-seize.

• 4 years later...

BTW, I know I've mentioned this in other places, but I'd like to thank white93z34 for originally showing me this method. Then, after doing this job an additional 3 times by myself, I knew it was FAQ worthy.

A few updates since other's have posted questions:

It has been a few years, but I distinctly remember having to turn the alternator around 180* to get it to slide in and out.

Also, just a tip, most mechanics will leave the top bolt of the alternator out. I did the same. That single bolt can make the job go much much longer.

• 1 year later...