$2000 in repairs needed... what to do?

aaron7

don't worry john, i apprichiate the kind words. but its a 9 hour or so drive one way to get to MA for me, and i got WAY too many of my own projects going on right now to pick up and head out that far. my z34 is screaming at me to get it one color, and i need to start getting the camaro ready for inspection here in july :lol:

but as far as the timing belt goes, its not too bad a job, i'll probably be doing my z34s this winter. so i may do a write up then, however the directions at 60degreev6 seem very good.

as for the O ring, i think i finally got a good metond for those, after redoing mine 3-4 times in one month i think i finally got it down pat on how not to pull the heads and still do it.

like i siad, feel free to hit me up on IM.

Well, the car was in the shop for new front struts yesterday. The shop guy called her father and said that it needed ball joints, tie rods, etc etc. He said the car wasn't safe to drive home! Of course, her father said to replace the stuff. She was met today with a $1500 bill :evil: :evil: :bash: :bash:

First off, the car was JUST FRIGGIN INSPECTED a week ago. I WATCHED the guy jack up the car and wiggle both wheels to find nothing wrong. So, she just got screwed wicked bad.

Now I'm not sure what the outcome is going to be. She's not sure how she's even going to pay for this!!!

wow, $1500 for front struts..... those take about 15 minutes to do..... and cost the shop around $70 for both....

always suprises me what some shops are able to get away with.

better ask for the old parts back, so you can at least know new ones were installed.

If it was her father that said to replace the stuff before consulting her, he should foot the bill. At least, he should have looked at the car before he ok'd the work. The shops get alot of people that way.

Yah he said it was horrible and going to fall apart. Strange, she has a 6/06 inspection sticker :evil:

Sigh, well I guess we're going for the engine repairs too. In it this far, what the hell right? Then at least there won't be anything wrong :|

Yeah, ask for the old parts when the shops do that. Freaking Midas told me all my brakes were down to sensors and when I went to inspect the brakes to see if it was true, there was still A TON of pad left. They thought that since it was squeaking (my rears were locked up), that they could just get me to pay for them to replace everything. I don't trust any shop and ask for every old part and proof that they installed everything they billed you for. I think shops these days are just places to screw good ppl over.

Korey

Guest Anonymous

Can't trust shops. One shop I took the RPE to wanted over 6 grand just to do an engine swap. I later found a good, honest shop that did that and 20 other things for a third of the price... but these places are hard to find.

oh yeah, honest shops are out there. I would just like to find one. Most mom and pop shops I've come across are pretty good. It's usually the big names that I've gotten screwed over at.

Korey

oh yeah, honest shops are out there. I would just like to find one. Most mom and pop shops I've come across are pretty good. It's usually the big names that I've gotten screwed over at.

Korey

Canada Tire comes to mind lol horror story

2 grand? Start shopping for an L67 to drop into it.
...and what?... have it start on fire.... YES the 3.4 May be a pain to work on.... but it is SOO worth it in the long run... i have driven Each differnt type of motor that came in w-bodys... (2.8, 3.1, 3.4, 3.8 N/a & s/c) I have to say.. I have never encounterd one that idles and runs as smooth and nice as a 3.4.

Now dont get me wrong... i like the 3.8's.. matter of fact i used to be in love with them that used to be the only engine type i liked.. untill i got my first 3.4 ever since then I realize how stupid I was to never belive in anything other than a 3.8.

besides a 3800 s/c swap would cost alot more than $2000 unless you did it yourself