'91 CSS ECM problem w/system...

MadPSI

I installed a PPI 2300M amp and a 12" Orion HCCA sub in my car and it hits pretty hard. Unfortunately, the car's been acting up since I installed the system.

For some reason, the amp draw becomes so high that it seems that the ECM goes into a "protection mode" and the car won't start for a while. Eventually the car starts and acts normally, and no problems occur if I don't turn the stereo up. As soon as I turn up the volume for a while the car decides not to start again the next time.

The car is bone stock, with a line converter used to feed the amp a signal from the stock head unit. Is there a way to combat this problem? Better battery? Better alternator? Something to further protect the ECM?

Upgrade the battery cable to at least the size of your power lead, clean all connections, get an optima red top, 160A alt, and a cap. Just some suggestions.

I have 0-Gage wire running to the amp from the battery, and a short 12" 0-Gage ground wire as well. I guess I'll try a better battery first, since I've seen 4000+ watt systems use stock alternators, and caps are basically useless...

I guess I was looking more for a way to isolate the ECM from the rest of the car's electrical system...