Aaron's dyno results...:(

Aaron

Well I just got back form the RMCGP dyno at DynoPros. A lot of people showed up, I was shocked. And a lto had really beautiful cars! Now to the good part, or in this case, not so good...

I got a best of 218hp and about the same tq to the wheels. Well this is respectable, it is off. I was realistically expecting 240whp, and hoping to break 250. In fact, a Z34 5-speed, with my identical mods, pulled 219, but he didn't have tuned equal length headers. I do. So my headers, the best ever made for a Z34, earn a -1whp rating? My ass. On top of this, a bone stock GTP that ran right before me got 168whp, and it has 65k miles. Yah, 168whp for a GTP...Again, my ass. Then the next guy, a modded GTP with a 75 shot, ran 50whp less than he did last time, and he added mods, and he ran 70whp less than what he was expecting. So although Bear is a great guy, and let me have 2 extra runs, I will not be returning. Every car that ran put down numbers that were not on par, yet he refused to admit it was his dyno, saying "If I had a dollar for every time a guy said that..." I agree, but when 90% of the guys running put down numbers that are obviously off, there is a problem.

GSJon, who drives a stock Buick L67, pulled 215whp, and like 230-240tq. These numbers seem high, about 15-20whp higher than most L67s. So taking the other GTP's 168 run, we see over a 45whp difference. Now I realize there are freaks, but 45whp??? Common...Plus, GSJon ran a 16.0 at bandimere. I ran a 15.22 at PMI, which we can estimate is a 15.0 at Bandi. So I am about a second faster than Jon, yet I made only 3hp more, and much less torque. So assuming our nearly equal weight and hp, this means than torque has a negative effect on drag racing, and that my 5-speed makes over a second difference. Bullshit. His 1/4m should be at most 2 tenths shy of mine, if not equal. So the dyno was FUBARED, and no one can convince me otherwise.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aaron

• 5speedz34

• TGPilot

• topless94style

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I was there with Aaron too!

The car sounded awesome and the 75mm LS1 TB was huge! Alot of sweet cars, I couldn't believe it! Needless to say we where both dissappointed with the results I agree with the dyno being off. When I get back at sea level and the tuning is done, I'll be getting it dyno'ed again.

Guest TurboSedan
When I get back at sea level and the tuning is done, I'll be getting it dyno'ed again.

hell yeah!

sounds like i'll be dyno'ing my cars at PFI....

Again let me say, he is a great guy, but his dyno was off, and he needs to see that. We all know I'd have a bag of excuses, but honestly, it was bad. Hell every car that ran the guy was like, "well, uh, I was expecting like 30 higher than that..." Even Gary, the head of Rocky Mnt Club GP, was making it obvious he didn't trust the results.

But at any rate, it was a good time, and the car ran great, sounded even better (mean AS HELL!), and Tony seems to like it, so I'm glad.

Yah, as trashy as people said PFI was, their results were dead on to me, and they had cars in and out quickly, and it was cheap.

I have video of the first two runs but I have no way to upload it till I get home. :cry:

I'm really happy with the car, bodywise it's awesome! Car needs little work here and there but for a 13 year old car it's awesome!

I have video of the first two runs but I have no way to upload it till I get home. :cry:

I'm really happy with the car, bodywise it's awesome! Car needs little work here and there but for a 13 year old car it's awesome!

I'm glad you like it! I just can't wait till my trip to CO...

Yeah, it's really pretty here. I think I have a bit of altitude sickness, but who knows.

The RMCGP guys were awesome.

Guest TurboSedan
Even Gary, the head of Rocky Mnt Club GP, was making it obvious he didn't trust the results.

something was obviously wrong, i agree. it's too bad....i was looking forward to seeing a dyno graph with better #s :(

and i do think your car (or rather, Tony's car) would achieve much better #s with tuning. but 250whp still seems very optimistic to me.

So how is it that the Dyno was certified just one month ago by Dyno-Jet and they guarantee accuracy within +/- 1% and it is way off? I think your car made what it made. My HP numbers were very close to the same as PFI but my torque increased. That could easily be attributed to my larger tranny cooler and full flush and filter since the last dyno it ran on. Plus the morning we ran at PFI it was high humidity but nice and cool. Today it was nice and cool in the shop and the humidity was next to nothing! Dry cool air works way better than cold humid air.

Sometimes you need to just fess-up!

As far a gary not running he said he did not want to waste the runs today because he has not changed anything from his last runs. Bear was going to give him a rain-check so he could run on a cooler evening/night because they have no sound ordinances out there! The final judgement was when his datalogger died and he refuses to run his car without it! 8)

Guest TurboSedan
So how is it that the Dyno was certified just one month ago by Dyno-Jet and they guarantee accuracy within +/- 1% and it is way off? I think your car made what it made.

:werd:

Yup i feel mine was low at pfi but the numbers I got is what my car has. Just suck it up and hope for better numbers next time.

215HP for the STOCK gs is about right.

he wasnt bone stock either. he has his res gone and and a gutted and wrapped airbox (better airbox then stock) and colder plugs and tstat.

i know an L67 with ONLY a 3.4" pulley pulled 229WHP

another with rockers and exhaust and a little others (stock pulley) pulled 224

so im saying, yes.

you just cant take the loss.

Josh said he got what he was expecting. Kenny pulled about the same.

why that GTP pulled wicked low is beyond me.

Its hard to tell what was going on, but i doubt you will hit higher if you went to another dyno.

so......prove me wrong.

how come others got close to what they got last time then???

Guest TurboSedan

Aaron is stuck in a dream world where his car makes 260whp and runs high 13s. i feel bad for him.

that being said (and in Aaron's defense) most stock LQ1s will dyno around 175whp. add in higher compression pistons, headers, and the '96+ intake - he gained ~45whp. that sounds about right.....but FAR FAR short of 250-260whp that he had been claiming previous to the actual dyno run today.

i really hope that Ben can get some tuning done to this car and Tony will dyno it again soon. but to achieve 250-260whp....um....no offense Tony, but don't get your hopes up.

Aaron is stuck in a dream world where his car makes 260whp and runs high 13s. i feel bad for him.

that being said (and in Aaron's defense) most stock LQ1s will dyno around 175whp. add in higher compression pistons, headers, and the '96+ intake - he gained ~45whp. that sounds about right.....but FAR FAR short of 250-260whp that he had been claiming previous to the actual dyno run today.

i really hope that Ben can get some tuning done to this car and Tony will dyno it again soon. but to achieve 250-260whp....um....no offense Tony, but don't get your hopes up.

So tuned equal length headers are in fact worth -1 whp???

EVERY car there, except 1 or 2, pulled drastically lower numbers. Hell a Z06, with just over 15k miles, and a 150shot, barely capped 400whp. It isn't right.

And I have a bit more than that, a bore, full exhaust, UD pulley, custom chip, a bigass 75mm throttle body, better headers than most companies make, and a bit more. Again, Michael made more hp with a much smaller TB, less compression, and stock manifolds. I know I can't claim higher, but trust me, that dynow as fubar'ed, and most everyone there will agree.

Your results seem spot on to me for your modifications. Do you actually think you've gained nearly 80whp or so with what you have done? :?

Guest TurboSedan

So tuned equal length headers are in fact worth -1 whp???

well, that seems to be the case! and to claim that your headers are "better headers than most companies make, and a bit more" is one helluva bold statement to make. why should anyone believe that garbage? have you tested them back to back with other headers? no, i didn't think so.

EVERY car there, except 1 or 2, pulled drastically lower numbers. Hell a Z06, with just over 15k miles, and a 150shot, barely capped 400whp. It isn't right.

And I have a bit more than that, a bore, full exhaust, UD pulley, custom chip, a bigass 75mm throttle body, better headers than most companies make, and a bit more. Again, Michael made more hp with a much smaller TB, less compression, and stock manifolds. I know I can't claim higher, but trust me, that dynow as fubar'ed, and most everyone there will agree.

wow, you just made your car & mods and the results look even worse! i'm sorry you still live in dreamland, meanwhile the rest of us are here in reality. you're car made what it made. end of story. deal with it.

Guest TurboSedan
and most everyone there will agree.

i think most everyone there wished you hadn't even showed up. yeah, i heard all about it.

When me and Aaron made the contract on his car the numbers he quoted and the dyno run made no effect on the sale. I'm not to worried about what happens after this, just so long as the car makes it back to MI, looks good, and lasts a few years. All this it should do.

I still stand by the fact that I feel the dyno was messed up, and with Aarons mods I would think it would make more than 45 whp.

All in all, we were hoping for 240 fwhp. Just for reference, and we will see when the car is tuned and run again at sea level.

And I have a bit more than that, a bore, full exhaust, UD pulley, custom chip, a bigass 75mm throttle body, better headers than most companies make, and a bit more.

Where in your list of things does it have FUEL management? Making it breath better is great...but without enough fuel it is not going to run any better. I would expect larger cc injectors and stronger fuel pump with a FPR to meter it along the way. Having a chip making the stock injectors run to 100% of their design will not add performance. Making an oversized injector work 66% as hard as it was designed with plenty of pressure behind it will work wonders! :wink: 8)

And I have a bit more than that, a bore, full exhaust, UD pulley, custom chip, a bigass 75mm throttle body, better headers than most companies make, and a bit more.

Where in your list of things does it have FUEL management? Making it breath better is great...but without enough fuel it is not going to run any better. I would expect larger cc injectors and stronger fuel pump with a FPR to meter it along the way. Having a chip making the stock injectors run to 100% of their design will not add performance. Making an oversized injector work 66% as hard as it was designed with plenty of pressure behind it will work wonders! :wink: 8)

That's why I plan on tuning it on the way home!

BTW- Kenny I love your TSTE!

I agree. But according to the WBO2, the a:f was fine, only moving with the IAT sensor problems I was having. But with my 218 run, the a:f was fine, it just fluctuated a little, and richened out after 6500, but other than that, it wasn't an issue. And I got the chip updated with the 96 intakes by Ben, although not perfect, good enough.

Guest TurboSedan

Tony, you really seem to be much more realistic and open minded about this car. i think you will do well with it. congrats on the purchase!

Tony, you really seem to be much more realistic and open minded about this car. i think you will do well with it. congrats on the purchase!
Well, thanks. I'm having a pretty good time out here in Colorado, I'm kinda worried about the drive. But thanks alot!

Even Gary, the head of Rocky Mnt Club GP, was making it obvious he didn't trust the results.

something was obviously wrong, i agree. it's too bad....i was looking forward to seeing a dyno graph with better #s :(

and i do think your car (or rather, Tony's car) would achieve much better #s with tuning. but 250whp still seems very optimistic to me.

So how is it that the Dyno was certified just one month ago by Dyno-Jet and they guarantee accuracy within +/- 1% and it is way off? I think your car made what it made.

:werd:

Not to sound like an ass, and I certainly don't care to take anyone's side, but you definetly just contradicted yourself.