ARRGGHH! Door wont open from inside or outside

ToroToro

Today I go out and try to open the drivers door from the outside, but suprise, it doesn't open.

So I say...well, no biggie, I'll open her from the inside and adjust the lockrods, but... it doesnt open from the inside either. Adding insult to injury, the fucking interior lights are stuck on because the door switch sometimes sticks.

So this is where I sit now... I have the courtesy fuse pulled so my battery doesn't die...I have the upper portion of the door panel pulled back, and I can see the lockrods move when I pull the interior door handle... When I pull the exterior handle, they dont do jack shit, so I assume the exterior handle isnt even attached anymore. I have tried jimmying with the rods, but I cant seem to get it right.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me a tip on how to get the damn door open, besides going out there in a fit of rage and ripping it into pieces. :roll:

Thanks a bunch.

The lockrod that actually unlatches the door is the one that is pushed down. I think it's the one closest to you on the outside, though I can't remember. Get a long ass flathead screwdriver and push on either one of the rods.

Well, not too sure what you mean but that, but I went out and pulled, pushed and pryed the rods, and the door wont pop open. It's pretty hard having to do this with door closed from the inside, but I think I have moved the rods as much as I can, with no luck.

Anything else I can do? I'm up for just about anything now, because this is pissing me off..

Thanks.

there is also a weird thing in the door that tends to screw up. its hard to find and even harder to get to i used to have skinny arms so i could get to it.

power locks ?

press them on and off for about 2 minutes

ive had them stick on me a few times, The door wont open from inside or outside. I Flick them a few times in both directions and the door is normal again. Its something to do with my remote door locks on my alarm i think, But it might just be a problem with the w-body's period.

just a suggestion :)

That was the first thing I tried, and it worked for me in the past, but not this time.

First off, I got the door open today with some beating and persistence, which is wonderful.

I found the problem to be my cheap ass eBay door handle. The brass linkage wasn't moving right, so I lubed it up, and I got

the rods were moving again, so problem solved.

Anyway, I still had to get my interior handle working again, and this is where things went bad. The little part that the interior handle rod clips to somehow got spun around, and wasn't opening the door. So I messed with it for an hour or so before I got fed up, and tried giving it some persuation with a hammer. So I ending up busting the latch to hell, and now the rods are stuck and my door is stuck closed again. :x

So anyway, does anyone know how to replace the door latch? It looks like 3 Torx on the outside, and then drilling some rivets out on the inside of the door. Anyone have any other pointers?

• 18 years later...

18-year-old thread.  Old enough to take naked pictures of.

He said "beating and persistence".

ToroToro hasn't been on this web site since 2009.  Not likely he's gonna respond.

Edited by Schurkey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1