control arm bushings are shot.

MonteC

ok i did some searching and couldnt come up with anything.

i took my car in for an alignment b/c of unusual tire wear on the back tires. well the guy looked at it and told me my control arm bushings were gone! i went out and took a look with him and the control arms were loose and rattling, and both of my back wheels/hubs were moving around alot, up and down, side to side. it was horribly loose.

well the guy told me that it would cost between 800-1000 dollars to fix it, it told him he was out of his mind and that i would do it myself. he said he wouldnt recommend it b/c the monoleaf is under a lot of pressure, and its hard to get back in once you take it out.

so? what do you guys think? how hard of a job is it to replace control arm bushings? i am very mechanically inclined and have all of the resources to do the job. i just dont know what all thats involved. lol

thanks.

if your moveing or working around the monoleaf i'd rent a spring compressor and just pull it out. then go about your merry way replaceing parts.

Why do you have to replace the mono-leaf to do the rear hubs? Don't the just come off and replace them as one set?

Why do you have to replace the mono-leaf to do the rear hubs? Don't the just come off and replace them as one set?

im not replacing the mono leaf. the control arm bushings are gone, they need to be replaced, thats whats making the hub and all move around.

there are bars the run paralel with the leaf spring, two on each side, front and back. the bushings that hold these still and rigid are gone.

ill get some pics up soon.

im assuming what im talking about are control arms thats what the guy at the shop told me they were, and im very unfimiliar with w body terminology.

i dont have one of those on my rear suspension.

i hope im explaining this right, im probably telling you guys the wrong names and fucking this all up.

better yet illl pull my manual out and do this correctly.

i hope im explaining this right, im probably telling you guys the wrong names and fucking this all up.

That's for the fronts, I thought he mentioned the fronts being done for too.

The rears have "trailing arms" and "lateral links" there's really no "control arm" like you would see in a FWD Ford rear suspension. Our rear suspension is relatively simple.

The rears have "trailing arms" and "lateral links" there's really no "control arm" like you would see in a FWD Ford rear suspension. Our rear suspension is relatively simple.

True Dat, still though 800 bucks! It must be the "lateral links" because for those you gotta drop the gas tank.

True Dat, still though 800 bucks! It must be the "lateral links" because for those you gotta drop the gas tank.
thats why i'm gonna wait with my struts until my gas pump goes out. then i'll have them drop the tank and do the lateral link's bushings with polyurethane bushings. so i won't ever have to worry about them ever again :lol:

thats it! lateral links! thanks guys, those fucktards at the alignment shop didnt even know what they were called.

so how in the fudge do i fix these fookers? never had to deal with a mono leaf set up, looks relativly simple though.

You'll have drop the gastank to get the fronts for the rears you'll have to just unbolt 4 bolts to get the off. They are in the middle of the car and the hubs.

FWIW: The lateral links are dealer items.

so i dont even have to mess with the mono leaf? the dumbass at the shop told me that you have to take out the mono leaf then replace the bushings and what not.

the bars themselfs are still good, i just need new bushings. i should stop asking stupid questions and open up my cheap haynes manual. :lol:

so i dont even have to mess with the mono leaf? the dumbass at the shop told me that you have to take out the mono leaf then replace the bushings and what not.

the bars themselfs are still good, i just need new bushings. i should stop asking stupid questions and open up my cheap haynes manual. :lol:

You do need to compress & possibly remove the spring to remove the lateral links. For the two in front of the monoleaf, you should have to drop the gas tank to remove them since there is little room there. Droppin the tank isn't really that bad, but the filler neck hose can be a bit of a pain(removing it and reinstalling it....not much room to work with right in that area). I don't remember what parts stores carry the lateral link bushings, but I believe they should be listed on rockauto.com if you can't find them locally.

well im gonna have to tow the grand prix home.

ill have a very interesting picture for you guys once i get home... it involves the rear suspension.... :bash: