• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MonteC

• topless94style

• Aaron

• chadz34

Aaron, I have agreed with some of the things you have said on this thread! Except, I do believe, that a Cutlass, Esp mine, looks way better than any Z34 I have ever seen. The nice long curves, and the convertible, well ha, id like to see a z34 look this good.

I do like the look of Z34s dont get me wrong, but that is a bold statement you made.

As far as the 3.4s go, I wouldnt trade it for any other V6. Or 4 banger. I can work on my own cars just fine, so i dont have to pay out my ass for it. Except the prices of some of the parts which do get expensive. My friend and sister both have 3100 grand ams, and let me tell you, completely different driving experience, with the 3.4 always ending on top. I think the pull of the 3.4 feels more awesome than even a stock L67.

BTW, shouldnt this be in powertrain?

Im still wondering why the mods havent moved this to powertrain. they always pounce on misplaced threads.

this is going to be the second and final time in a thread that I have asked you to let their mods do their jobs and stop whoring up threads with worthless posts just to add to your post count

I hadn't moved it yet, because I just got to the thread.

Aaron, I have agreed with some of the things you have said on this thread! Except, I do believe, that a Cutlass, Esp mine, looks way better than any Z34 I have ever seen. The nice long curves, and the convertible, well ha, id like to see a z34 look this good.

I do like the look of Z34s dont get me wrong, but that is a bold statement you made.

As far as the 3.4s go, I wouldnt trade it for any other V6. Or 4 banger. I can work on my own cars just fine, so i dont have to pay out my ass for it. Except the prices of some of the parts which do get expensive. My friend and sister both have 3100 grand ams, and let me tell you, completely different driving experience, with the 3.4 always ending on top. I think the pull of the 3.4 feels more awesome than even a stock L67.

Your style Cutty is hotter than the Z34, bottom line no doubt. But I don't like his style very much.

My wife and I both own 3.4s. We love the hell out of them. She really likes the acceleration when getting on the expressway and gets a kick out of stomping on it once in a while when some Honda or some other Jap junk gives her some crap. I've asked her about selling her Euro Sedan and getting a ragtop, but she will only do it if I get her another 3.4 Olds Ragtop.

Personally, I love the sound mine makes when it winds up in the RPMs. And it's very reliable, I am sure to maintain the both of our cars meticulously.

I do have a Metro 3-cylinder that is my commuter vehicle because of my 100 mile drive daily. It's fun to drive, but strictly for commuting. I love my Olds!

I actually really like the 3.4DOHC, but is it's stock form I wouldn't call it "fast" like many people in this thread have...it is relatively fast for it's time, but if you consider a stock LQ1 "fast" you haven't driven enough cars to determine what "fast" is

The 4 door cuttys im not a huge fan of, but I like the front end and the way it looks alot.

I wouldnt consider a stock 3.4 fast, but then again, you can say that about most of the cars on the road. The ones I think that can be considered fast are the ones most people on this board cant afford to own. Unless your buying on older camaro/stang that is cheap and easy to make fast.

A buddy of mine has a 97 Z28, with a ton of mods. Fastest car I have ever ridden in, driving a GTP, a stock Z28, a 2004 Mustang GT, Jetta 1.8T, a few different LQ1s, and a lightly modded Z28. Not one of those cars feels fast compared to the Z28. The ride in his car has pretty much ruined the feeling of fast for me until I ride/drive a car that can compare to his.

The LQ1, with some money wisely spent, I believe can be made fast no problem. In fact we should find out in the next month or so when my turbo is done.

I think I like the DOHC...hmmm.

After timing a 94 cutlass to 6 adv intake and 6 ret exh, I must say, the low end is so much nicer. Power overall is up, and its running the same tuning I did for stock timing still. After I get it tuned over the next few days, im going to the track (if they are open) to test out some chips and see what this thing runs.

Aftermarket, im working on it. Ive got the valvetrain just about taken care of now, tuning just about taken care of minus 96-97 which I can't do right now. Porting, doing that already. Working on custom intake manifolds and headers as well. I think I love this engine platform more than anyone, though I could be wrong.

The ride in his car has pretty much ruined the feeling of fast for me until I ride/drive a car that can compare to his.

try going from driving a low 11sec car to a 3100 grand prix in a day...

if its as awesome as every makes it sound then why not buy it...and you said its a 5spd...thats better...the only people i have heard that really hate or dislike the 3.4 is people with pushrods...i personally dont really care cause it gets me from point a to point b

I think I love this engine platform more than anyone, though I could be wrong.

you might be...there are a handfull of us on here that would choose the DOHC over the others :D

I like the 3.4 tdc. but not enough to let it stay in the engine bay. Mine is a 92 z34 5 speed. And i've owned rwd's all my life and when i first drove it and nailed the gas, the steering went crazy, lol. its fun. The lq1 will be fore sale in the near future. I'll post a new thread. (mods)

pushrod vs. overhead cam (twin or singe)

i think the overhead cams work better for the smaller displacement engines than they do for the larger engines.

try comparing fords overhead cam v8 engines to GM's pushrod lsx v8 engines, there is no comparison, the pushrod lsx wins almost every time.

i dont see how you guys are saying that a stock 3.4 DOHC is "fast". imo is "peppy" at best.

the overhead cam engines are a great design, and very unique, and are efficent in making power.

pushrod vs. overhead cam (twin or singe)

i think the overhead cams work better for the smaller displacement engines than they do for the larger engines.

How do you figure? The 5.7l DOHC V8 was the highest hp engine ever put in a production GM car until the 2006 Z06. Even today the engine is credited as the most technologically advanced engine ever built. It made 405hp/385tq in the early 90s. This was a feat that GM simply could not do with a pushrod while maintaining good gas mileage, drivability, warrenty, and emissions.

ah yes the very very very uberly rare and expensive LT5. very complex and very expensive to own and mantain. i dont think anybody that owns one of those drives it on the street or even races them for that matter.

you do realize that the LS6 in the 2002 z06 made 405hp and 400ftlbs? thats 15ftlbs more than your prized DOHC.

DOHC's are nice but for large v8's, pushrods are better.

personally ive seen the ls1 get 24mpg in the city.

and ive personally seen modular 4.6 mustangs gettin 17mpgs in the city.

the shear size of DOHC v8 engine is crazy, their huge, and they weigh at least 200 lbs more.

the added weight will screw up weigh distribution and handling.

OHC technology itself is older than pushrod technology.

I think the 3.4 has decent low end power, but all the REAL power is made in high RPM's. The 3.4's are very addicting to drive, very easy to control, and extremely smooth engines. It's no problem for me to drive to the corner store and end up going for a drive after that. I love this motor it's perfect it's fast, reliable and overall one of GM's best engines ever. I don't care about timing belts becuase once you change them once you can do it every time. And every motor has a specific part thats weak.

I think the DOHC V8 in the vettes was a sweet motor. I met a guy at a local vette show here at Grossman Chev, and he not only uses it as his daily driver(summer and nice weather of course), but also races it up in Brainard.

The 3.4L DOHC should of never been built as it is today.

It IS a hacked together engine.....the simply strapped a set of DOHC heads on a 3.1 block bored over. The way they drive the oil pump is a prove fact of this.....a blank distributor driving the oil pump, which is driven by a blank cam. Then lets not forget this engine has both a timing chain and belt.

As far as my job is concerned about this motor.....its great...now they are out of warranty......timing belts and alternators times can both be beat easyily.

3.4 = teh ghey

3.1 = roxorz my soxorz!

At lest i know they built my engine with a purpose, unlike the 3.4, Gm was like, Fuck... we need an wanabe """""performance""""" engine for these fwd cars. they took a huge shit and poped out the 3.4.... no offence to owners of the 3.4 i feel your pain ;-)

i love the power of my 3.4..its so smooth and torquey......i drive my gp after with the 3.1 and fels like im dragging my asssssssssss :mrgreen:

Guest TurboSedan

i see it as a frankenstien engine that GM threw together to compete with the SHO (and fell short on achieving that goal IMHO).

DOHC W-bodies are not "fast". someone said earlier that they were peppy at best, ok i'll give them that.

they have practically NO aftermarket. any real power adder, weather it be a turbo or supercharger is going to involve major fabrication skills, work and money. there is nitrous but you can easily do that to any car. and then there is so little room to work with in the engine bay. ugh. my next project car certainly wouldn't involve a DOHC W-body, 5-speed or not.

i love the power of my 3.4..its so smooth and torquey
Since when did 3.4's have torque?? :lol:

where are we going with this thread?

Going from 100mph to 10mph of course 10mph will seem slow.. now try running 10mph. yeah it will seem fast. its all a matter of perspective. hell 300mph is slow if you think about the velocity of the earths orbit.

now

the lq1 is capabile over more then 220+ footpounds of tq. 3.7-4.4 grand with the lq1 and its a tq monster for a 90s sedan with that displacement 204ci + alot of times you dont notice it b/c we get even more HP after 5grand and thats where the "Weee" effect takes hold. i can easily do highway speeds in short distances while keeping my rpms below 5k. using the 3.5-4.5rpm range its somewhat more peppy then the 3400 in the same rpm range.

as for experience with the lq1. i think TimG, Aaron, and Z34nut have felt some of the best topend "Wee" effect with their 5-speeds + auto/turbo. I can only imagin behind this auto what it would belike in a 5 speed. and i feel sorry for those with an lq1 who still have it in 100% stock form. A hackjob the motor may be, but its potential is very real.