Receiver Replacement - Chimes?

Redwolf

Okay, my little CD player that I had velcroed to the center console died, so I'm without CDs now. Seeing as how I had so many problems with the FM transmitter and tape adapter for it (so much interferece!), I've decided to heck with it, and I'm getting a new Receiver. I came up with the Pioneer DEH-2700, since it's pretty powerful, isn't expensive (I'm about to go to college, need all the dough I can get), and has preamps for if and when I get new speakers and an amp. Now I'm a bit worried about two things before I start...

1) Steering whell controls. Looked around here and found some threds on this. Looks like a PAC SWI-X is about the only option I have. Oh well, theres some for $20-40 on ebay, so I'll get it from there.

2) Chimes. I don't know how these cars handle the door/warning chimes. I know it sounds silly, but I find the chimes to be reassuring rather than annoying. They also help me remember to take the damn key with me when I leave. If the chimes go through the radio (seems like they do), what do I need to keep them working, how much is it, how hard is it to install...and is it really worth it?

What year is your Regal? Seeing as you said it has a Series I, then it has to be 91-95, so no you don't have to worry about the chimes being disabled. Even if you had a newer Regal, you could buy an aftermarket interface that replaces the chime function (I just installed one in my Impala while replacing the stock HU.)

To retain the steering wheel controls in my 95 Regal, I purchased a SoundGate Remote1.5. It doesn't require any programming like the PACSWIX. I have a Pioneer HU, and bought this interface before SoundGate introduced a new interface specifically for Pioneer HU's which plugs directly into the wired remote port (instead of using an IR emitter to replicate the HU's remote...)

I bought my SoundGate interface from http://www.logjamelectronics.com

Here's all of the interfaces that Logjam Electronics sells

Regal is a 94. Thanks, looks like I can go ahead and order. Shame that the mounts make the radio look ugly sticking out like that...ah well. Could be worse (cough...Din+half...cough)

edit: Yeah, I forgot to put the year in my sig. Thanks for the notice DS.