I would like a little more punch to my stock setup

Dannymik

peeps, I was involved in all the stereo shit in my early 20's(now in my later 20's) and would like to know if there is a single sub type design that you can wire to your stock delco head unit? The stereo in my Grand Prix is the best stock setup I ever had in any of my vehicles...I believe the speakers are amplified, but I don't have the bose option like most of the GTP's came with. So, is there something out there that you can link or point me in the direction to? I don't need the wind knocked out of me or have that annoying tickeling feeling in my ears from the "out of control" bass link I once had...just some more definition to my sound quality. Thanks

If the radio doesn't have an RCA out, I know the Infinity BassLink has a universal input, where you hook it to the speaker outputs like some home theater subs. No clue how well it works, or how good the basslinks are, but it's an option if you don't have RCA-outs.

I have not seen an amp. with such a system, but I'm probably just not looking hard enough.

get a line level step down converter. it will take the signal from the speaker wires and changes it into low-level rca outputs. best buy has them for around $25 I think. wal-mart might have them for less than that. As far as the sub, Best buy sells a kenwood 10" in a box with an internal amplifier for around 200. I know rockford made a punch 8" in a tube with a built in amp but it costs like $400. I'm sure you know wat you want since you were into this stuff before. So to answer your question, yes you can definitely keep the stock setup and just add on a sub.

thanks for the tips guys... in the past I have looked into the Infinity basslink, but never heard it 1st hand. Infinity makes good speakers which keeps me wondering about if its worth the purchase.

I'll also keep the line level step down converter in mind...when it comes to car audio Kenwood doesn't excite me(except there head units).

Most Sub amplifiers will have speaker line level inputs, however they tend to sound worse imho. The Step down converters sound better, but still not as good as rca's.

• 2 weeks later...
get a line level step down converter. it will take the signal from the speaker wires and changes it into low-level rca outputs. best buy has them for around $25 I think. wal-mart might have them for less than that. As far as the sub, Best buy sells a kenwood 10" in a box with an internal amplifier for around 200. I know rockford made a punch 8" in a tube with a built in amp but it costs like $400. I'm sure you know wat you want since you were into this stuff before. So to answer your question, yes you can definitely keep the stock setup and just add on a sub.

explain the procedure a little more in depth...do you have to splice into the rear speaker wires? I've always used RCA connections...so this is new to me!

I'd go with the Bazooka tube. It is really easy to install and will give a nice bottom end that will blend in nice with the factory system..They even have one unit that looks like a NOS bottle..

I'm no mechanic by any means but I do know a little about sound systems and the acoustics of a Z34..

75457353.jpg

Just upgrade your door and deck speakers. Don't go cheap. If you toss in a good set of door and deck speakers it will sound like you have a sub in the trunk. I would use the Infinity Kappa 693.5i for 6X9's and I don't know what size your door speakers are, but don't go cheap and they will sound good too. With speakers you get what you pay for. Pioneer makes a good speaker now too as long as you go with the 80R model of any of their speakers. Trust me I know how thoses Infinity Kappa's sound and they are well worth the money. Plus with no subs in the trunk, no amp and no fancy head unit = no ass hole stealing your shit when there is nothing to take. just my 0.02

Just upgrade your door and deck speakers. Don't go cheap. If you toss in a good set of door and deck speakers it will sound like you have a sub in the trunk. I would use the Infinity Kappa 693.5i for 6X9's and I don't know what size your door speakers are, but don't go cheap and they will sound good too. With speakers you get what you pay for. Pioneer makes a good speaker now too as long as you go with the 80R model of any of their speakers. Trust me I know how thoses Infinity Kappa's sound and they are well worth the money. Plus with no subs in the trunk, no amp and no fancy head unit = no ass hole stealing your shit when there is nothing to take. just my 0.02

as for the Infinity Kappa, don't you have to power them with an amp? I know these speakers are good and dont remember there RMS specs. Then again I heard that the speakers in my Grand Prix might have a small amp running them :? ...I don't have the BOSE option, just the normal Delco setup(although they are the best stock setup I've ever had).

Be glad you don't have bose, it stinks. (wired around mine :lol: )

so what are you runnng in yours?

pioneer cd player, stock speakers, 2 10" sony exploids, 1000 watt ma audio mono amp, ma digital cap. Sounds really good too me and not too much bass.

see, I down want my trunk being taken up by a damn speaker box...I did that for too long and now love being able to fit the groceries in the trunk :lol:
I hear that. It takes up like half my trunk. :lol:

as for the Infinity Kappa, don't you have to power them with an amp? I know these speakers are good and dont remember there RMS specs.

No, you don't have to power them with an amp. You can if you want and they will handle it, but it is not required at all. They will sound great off a stock stereo. and you will have all of you trunk space still.

Yeah the Infinity's sound real good. The 6x9s at Futureshop (not sure which model of Infinity they were) but it sounded as though there was a subwoofer on too which there was not. I say add a small 2ch amp to the rears (or a 4ch amp and for all 4 speakers) and it would sound great. Not sure if a Delco unit would have enough power to really give you great bass from aftermarket speakers.