Help help and tips for changing wheel studs....

jpfish

I got some new extend length wheel studs today from NAPA and was wondering exactly what i was going to have to do to for the install. I got the front passenger side torn apart, down to the caliper bracket, which requires a torx (something like that/star pattern) socket, which i dont have. Anyone know the size of the torex? BTW i am working on a 1995 Grand Prix. Anyways, looking at the studs, i was wondering can i just slip them out and the new ones in? or am i going to have to remove the hub or something? If so, what exactly am i going to have to do? i hope i dont have to disconnect the shock and steering stuff to do this. Anyone know what i have to do? and also what about on the Rear hubs, do i go about the same process, strip off brakes to hub? remove the rear hub? also how exactly do i get the old studs out? any tips? thanks a lot for any help.

jp

You will have to remove the hub because there's not enough clearance to get long studs in.

To completely remove the hub, you'll have to remove the big 36mm hub nut, remove the 4 15mm bolts from behind the hub, and then pop the hub off with a hub puller. I don't know with what kind of tool you plan to take the old studs out with, if a hammer, then you should remove the hub. If you have the special GM tool that's also used for pulling balljoints and tierods, then all you probably have to do is remove the bolts from the hub and pull it out a little.

Not sure on the rears. I don't think you have to pull the hub to put longer studs on the rear.