Steering Wheel Question

1990lumina

Okay, so after reading a post by Chris it prompted my question..something that I have been meaning to ask for quite awhile now.

Ever since I've owned this car (1990 Lumina Euro) the steering wheel has slightly been off center. So when you are driving down the steer going straight the steering wheel is slightly turned maybe 2-3 degrees to the right.

I know this car had an alignment before I got it and they probably didn't do something correct but damn the car could drive itself if I was a perfectly straight road because nothing pulls or shakes or anything. So I don't want to take this car in for an alignment just because the steering wheel is off a bit.

Is there any way that I could adjust it??Like taking the center cap off the steering wheel, loosening the wheel and positioning it where it should be and tighten everything back? Or does this require an alignment?

I know this small problem doesn't bother me since I drive with the right hand at 12o'clock anyways, but it would just look better if everything was straight.

Anyone have any ideas??

- Jeff L.

It needs an alignment, but you could always take the horn off and see if the wheel is aligned.

My wife had an 88 Cutlass that seemed properly aligned, it always tracked straight, but the steering wheel was off-center. We took it to have the alignment checked, but the shop said the alignment was fine. I took the horn off, and discovered some moron somewhere along the way had pulled the steering wheel off, and reinstalled it crooked. So I took it off and reinstalled it with the marks perfectly aligned. To my surprise, the wheel and car were now perfectly straight.

Anyway, I'm going to guess it needs to be aligned. Call around and see if there's a place that'll check it for free. If it's okay, pull the horn off and see if the mark on the steering shaft is aligned with the mark on the wheel.

Shawn..what happened to your wife's car is like mine. The car tracks perfectly straight..just the steering wheel is installed crooked as you put it. I "don't" think I need an alignment because everything seems like it is tracking straight - just the steering wheel is crooked.

So, if I wanted to see if someone has removed the wheel and put in back on crooked how do I remove the center part of the steering wheel on a 1990 Lumina Euro? Does it has several different places that the wheel can lock into or how does that work?

Thanks for the input guys!

- Jeff L.

If you think the alignment is good you will need to take the wheel off (steering wheel puller probably needed) and then center it, and bolt it back on. I drove down the street with the wheel not bolted down so I could remove it and put it on centered while driving in a straight line... do at your own risk! :lol:

I don't know how the horn part comes off on a Lumina, but on the 88 I seem to remember a hard plastic part pulled off the front possibly revealing some screws. On my 89, I know there are 2 7mm screws on the back and then the bottom part pulls out and hooks hold the top part in. I think every steering wheel is going to be different so hopefully another Lumina owner will chime in.

I don't think you have to pull the steering wheel completely off to see the alignment marks. If I remember right, all I had to do was remove the nut. Once the nut was off, there's a mark engraved on the wheel and also a mark engraved on the shaft. They should be aligned. It'll be obvious if it's on right or not. If you decide you need to pull a wheel, you'll need a wheel puller. It's just a metal plate and a bunch of different sized bolts. Costs less than $10 or I heard Autozone will lend them for free.

I don't understand why people go on and on about wheel pullers.. I pulled the wheel off the TGP in 5 seconds. Smacked myself in the head with it when it gave, but I got it off nonetheless :lol:

Just remove the big nut, put both hands evenly spaces at 1/4 marks at the top of the wheel, and each knee at 1/4 marks on the bottom half, and pull your knees and hands backwards that same time. Makes for a nice even pull. Just watch your head ;)

I don't understand why people go on and on about wheel pullers.. I pulled the wheel off the TGP in 5 seconds. Smacked myself in the head with it when it gave, but I got it off nonetheless :lol:

Just remove the big nut, put both hands evenly spaces at 1/4 marks at the top of the wheel, and each knee at 1/4 marks on the bottom half, and pull your knees and hands backwards that same time. Makes for a nice even pull. Just watch your head ;)

The Lumina's steering wheel piece just pulls off. Just yank it off. I didn't use a steering wheel puller, either, just brace the back of the wheel in front of your knees and pull on the sides with your hands. I also have never needed an oil filter wrench. :wink:

Some of us aren't big muscle men! Believe me, I tried pulling it by hand and it wasn't budging.

It even takes a lot of torque of the wrench for the puller to pull my steering wheel, probably because I always torque it back on to whatever the service manual says (35 ft-lbs I think).

I've taken the steering wheel off my car (the 88') and it was on there damn tight. I thought I was gonna bust the steering wheel puller until it made a suction-like sound and popped off! On my 95 there is also the lock plate, I dunno if the Lumina has one or not if you you'll also need to get a lock plate remover.

Oil filters I can usually take off without any tools as long as I was the one that installed it in the first place ;)

wow i have the same ordeal....and i thought it was just me :lol:

mine doesnt need an alignment, so ill have to check if someone put the wheel back on wrong.