Help with "on a budget" brakes...

wally05

Hey guys. Me and my friend are about replace my rear brakes (seized up calipers, like the usual). But I have a few questions. I'm pretty new at brake replacement, so any information is nice. Also, I'm kinda on a budget, but this needs to be done asap. If I could wait longer, I'd save up, but recent major repairs have left my "fix brake" fund kinda low.

1. The rear rotors seem to just have a thin layer of rust on them. Should I still replace both rotors or keep them?

2. Pads... These need to be replaced on all 4 brakes. Any good value pads that are budget friendly, but are good quality? I've used Raybestos with good luck before...

3. Calipers... Both rear sets are going out the door. Any recommendations? I plan on painting all my calipers red for looks and maybe it will help to prevent corrosion...?

I'm looking into it, but any advice would be helpful. I'm kinda in a hurry, so I didn't have time to search the site too much.

Korey

Factory rebuild calipers, something like $50 each from AutoZone or Advance, Heard good things about EBC Green Stuff pads, but never had them on anything of mine.

Mike

1. Rust is not a problem. Rotors get rusty anytime they're exposed to moisture and the brakes aren't used... or in your case, the calipers are bad.

2. I'm pretty happy with the Wagner Severe Duty pads I put on my Cutlass.

3. Where they corrode and seize, I don't think paint will help. It's the sliders that seize. Mine actually seemed to be a breakdown of the grease rather than corrosion, but anyway, paint won't help there. Paint doesn't hurt though, and it does keep them looking nice & pretty for several years. 4yrs later and my painted calipers still looked pretty good.

i just got a reman calliper from autozone last night for $35

rotors usually will run around $10 a piece

and you can get a set of break pads for $14 or so.

If you get like the cheapest of everything.

If you get like the cheapest of everything.

If you're on a budget, they work just fine. I used $10 rotors and $15 brake pads on my old GP, and it stopped just fine.

if you have first gen brakes on your car, your always replaceing them anyhow. the expensive stuff wears out just as fast as the cheep stuff. i buy the better stuff for my front wheels, and the cheep for the rear and i've never had a problem yet.

Yeah, I agree White93z. Also, with the core charge, do I pay that up front and get it back in return if I return the old stuff? I've never really understood it.

Korey

i have used bendix brakes on every vehicle i've ever owned and they've worked better than OEM by a longshot. I just put some on the cutlass this winter and they're fantastic. I highly reccomend them. They weren't too expensive...and we less than reybestos. I have them running with napa HD metallic pads.

Alrighty, guys. I might be getting some cash soon and I think I might have come to a decision, but first, a question. On Advanced Auto Parts website, I'm seeing a lot of calipers designated for JUST left or right, not RIGHT REAR OR LEFT REAR or something like that. Is that okay? Well, I'm liking the...

-Raybestos RC5279 and RC5280 Loaded brake calipers for $48.99 each plus $30.00 core... but do they work for rear too?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=5003&begin=41&searchfor=Caliper&mfrcode=&so=0&ptset=A&st=0&mfrpartnumber=&categorycode=

*Also, what is this ws6 performance package that cardone keeps talking about?*

-(2) Wearever YH141400 Front Brake Rotors for $18.99 each

-(2) sets of Wearever Silver MKD376 Front Brake Pads for $18.99 each

total: $242.64 approx... not too horribly bad, I guess, but it needs done.

That should cover my current brake needs unless something comes up. I think my friend and I are going to remove the e-brake assembly adjuster and cables completely until I feel ready to fix the front cable. Give me some feedback.

Korey

SigEpCutlass, I have just bought a 1990 Supreme International and wanna know.....what is this 94 brake upgrade you're talking about.....

For Wally....since you have 4 wheel disc brakes....buy decent calipers and rotors and you can change your brakes every two months if you want....pads are CHEAP.

SigEpCutlass, I have just bought a 1990 Supreme International and wanna know.....what is this 94 brake upgrade you're talking about.....

For Wally....since you have 4 wheel disc brakes....buy decent calipers and rotors and you can change your brakes every two months if you want....pads are CHEAP.

Basically, the 94 brake upgrade upgrades to bigger rotors and I believe different calipers from a 94 and up w-body car... I could be wrong about the calipers, but it seems to be the thing that everyone does on these early w-bodies with the crappy rear setup.

Korey

I just replaced the sliders in one of my siezed rear calipers, and lubed up the other ones. Perfect rear brakes, for about $30-35 total including pads and slides.