Just Stalled

camkos10101

my gp is an auto. i was driving just after i stated and it was running fine. then it just died as if it wasnt firing at all anymore. i had to get the damn thing towed. what do u think the problem is ? the check engine light came on after it stalled and the low coolant light too.

Well, lets start with the basics. Use a paper clip to run an ECM code from the dignositic port underneath the dash; you'll need the ignition on the 'run' position. Find out what code are tripped and post those.

http://www.w-body.com/ecm-codes.html

Otherwise, its sounds electrical based... anything to the ECM, EGR valve, ignition module... too early to tell untill you get those trouble codes. Best of luck and sorry to hear the troubles.

- RedFox340

There isn't one. Thats Ford.

You should check for spark first. If you get no spark (which is what it sounds like) you should check the ignition control module, coils, and the crank sensor. Since it outright died with no restart, it is probably the crank sensor...the coils/module would allow the car to restart (usually) after it cooled down.

Probably not fuel, because pumps don't normally die all of the sudden. Usually they will weaken, and hurt normal performance before they die. But you should check your fuel pressure anyhow.

Jason

Well, you should first make sure you don't have spark.

The crank sensor is located on the back side (nearest to the firewall) of the engine block. It is between the transmission and engine, right next to /below the knock sensor. It will be held in with a single 8-10mm bolt, and will have a plug on it. The plug will have two wires, not just one. It will probably not come out easily, so you should be careful. Remove the bolt, and try to wiggle/pry it out.

Unfortunatley, I don't know of a simple way to test it...but it's probably your problem. If it's not your problem now, it will break sooner or later...so it's a good idea to replace it anyhow.

Jason

i had the crank position sensor go out on me and it did the same thing. There is a way to test it. Just to the left of the left ignition coil (would be closest to the water pump) there's 2 plugs. The LOWER one (will have 2 wires) is the one you disconnect. Then get a multimeter and, while a friend attempts to start the engine, check for ALTERNATING current between the 2 wires. If there isnt any detected (or if it's very erratic) that sensor went bad.

Also to check for spark, you could use a timing light (if you have one).

Actually timing lights are of great use to our DIS ignitions. People normally wouldn't use them on our DIS ignitions because there isn't anything to adjust. But timing lights can be used to detect secondary ignition problems easily.

Just hook it up to each one of the plug wires, and look at their flashing patterns at idle. They should have consistant patterns. If one has a intermittent pattern of turning off and on eratically there is a bad plug/wire/coil. I've used it to check when I've had a suspicion of an ignition problem, and it always shows the truth. Something to consider for people who suspect a problem but don't want to spend money and time swapping out parts.

Jason

ok, so heres another question....i never mentioned that i have command start before...coudl that have anything to do with it? woudl my car have any kind of theft prevention that i dont konw about? there is no chip in my key..

a guy says he thinks that the command start burnt out a modual.

I doubt it...unless you are having a problem turning the engine over with the key. I don't think there is much the alarm/security system can do to make the ECM or ignition control module not work. Unless it interupts power to the either of them. But that is very unlikely.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

well guys its a hard thing to say ...but i gave in and jsut took it to the shop, as i am not a big fan of working on a frozen car in -40 celcius weather...

it was the ignition modual. just burnt out. so $302 it cost me plus all the towing.

• 2 weeks later...

This is exactly what happened to my car....thing just WILL NOT start. It will sometimes fire like its gonna start, but it just won't. I replaced the crank sensor (man it was NOT easy :x ) but that was not the problem. It still wont start.....what do I do now and how do I do it? Any help will be appreciated!!!

if it fires sometimes it wont be the ign modual. u should check all of ur ign compontents ie) plugs, rotor etc etc...

if its not the ignition check the fuel system....

if its niethr then just hold on to your horses and wait for one of the big shooters to answer this post.

I hear alot of talk on the board about the DIS module and the ignition module. Are these different names for the same component or are they 2 different components?? I havent had time to look at my car lately, but I think i'm gonna go ahead and replace the ignition module. Any more ideas would really help!

Jason

answer 2 questions here.... yes the dis and ignition module are the same thing...

and I just stated this in my other post...you can get the crank sensor tested at autozone for free.

Thanks for clearing that up...i wondered about that.

I would have tested my crank sensor first at autozone before replacing it if I wouldnt have had to get it towed over there in order to do so :!: :idea:

What about the cam sensor? Is there one on these 3.1L cars? I cant find any info about it in my haynes manual. If this sensor is out, would it cause my car to not start??

Thanks in advance for the replies

Jason

I dont believe they have one...umm you wouldn't have to get the car towed over..you would just need to remove the sensor and walk in the door with it.......I have gotten fast enough at pulling them that now it only takes me 15 min or less to get it out...although I am cheating a little....i just hook up the wench on my truck up to the engine hoist mount on the motor and pull the motor forward..or in absence or that I use a comalong attached the the lower end of the bumper and serveral blocks of wood to stop the cable from tearing up the from end.... if that is't shade treeeeing it...I dont know what is :wink: