removing my PMIII system, and going to vaccum operated....

m0sh_man

Does anyone have a write up on how this is done?

ive bought two used PMIII units both were supposed to be 100% working when removed, both did the same thing with my car, and my brakes still feel like total shit, so im going to remove the whole system.

does anyone have any idea on what all is involved?

my car's a 91GTP 5 speed, and ive got a 90 LE parts car.

matthew

I don't think anyone has a write up, I could be wrong. A few people have done it and it's not easy. But if you have a parts car, that simplifies it.

Guest Gp crazy

I rember seeing a write up on this some where about a 1.5 years ago. There is alot of things you must do. :bash:

1. get a spare car to drive :mrgreen:

2. then get another parts car to use all the old brake system stuff. :arrow:

3. run a 4th line to the rear passenger side caliper. On the pmIII you do not have a 4th line. from the master cyl. "only three" + alot of plugs :cry:

4. the dash must come apart almost the whole thing. Some thing behind the pedal is diffrent."unsure what " :?

If I rember right the whole process takes about a weekend or longer to do it. Thats why I just bit the bullet and bought the pmIII from prior.inc it's a nice unit comes with everything but the really! so far i have had no problems with it. just wheel sensor. "WHEN WET OUT SIDE" :evil:

i hope i have helped a little bit jeff B :D

• 7 months later...

When i bought my 91with pm III, i had decent braking, but the light never came on on start-up or oterwise. So i took the dash out to check the bulb, ther was none, so i put one in and replaced the dash.When i went for my first drive after this,the light came on almost immediatly,and the brake were not there, when applyed there was just a slight drag,and the light styed on. No need to say that i returned home and took the light bulb out , and my brake came back to what it was before. They are not great, they don't lock up,(except when wet) but the car stop faily decent. Of course i don't let my wife drive it.(or should i? humm).

They are not great, they don't lock up,(except when wet) but the car stop faily decent. Of course i don't let my wife drive it.(or should i? humm).

They're not supposed to lock up.. what exactly do you think ABS is?

Despite it's problems as it ages I love PM3 brakes. The TSTE stops 50x better than the Cutlass ever did, and that's with the fuse pulled (so essentially no ABS). The calipers just grip the rotors so much better. The Cutlass has '96 front brakes that are a year old and brand new rear brakes, and I still think the TSTE stops much better. Yes, the pump is running nonstop and obivously the ABS itself isn't working, but I have two complete spare master cylinders so I'm not worried about it. And they work damn good for now.

It's just my transmission I'm worried about..

I'm going to be switching to vacuum brakes soon on my TGP, so if I get to it first I can let you know what's involved. I'm definitely not looking forward to changing the firewall plate, but I think that should be the worst part.

When you swapped these other powermaster units in, did you follow the proper procedure to bleed the brakes? My PMIII in my TGP works great, I've only had to deal with a bad accumulator in the car so far, car stops 10x better than my vacuum brake equipped 93 GP.

Confusious say, "He who have PMIII ABS and pull ABS fuse from ABS slot in fuse block...have no pump motor, extremely low pressure in Accumulator(only precharge), and almost NO stopping power. Rotor/pad grip can NO be better." :shock:

^^ what?

:?:

Tony, check the tranny fluid, I never had a tranny problem that adding fluid didn't solve. The gasket/filter in there is almost 4 years old.

^^ what?

:?:

Tony, check the tranny fluid, I never had a tranny problem that adding fluid didn't solve. The gasket/filter in there is almost 4 years old.

I'm gonna try and get to it.. fluid/filter change and a bottle of Lucas for good measure. The rate it's going though I really wanted to get the Getrag in this winter but I don't know if I'll even have enough saved for the clutch I want by then, sooo.. yea. And it'd need to be a quick in-and-out swap, because I need something to get me to work. Then there's the whole custom chip ordeal too...

Uh, u pull the PM3 fuse, i belive the pump wont run, and that means no fluid pressure, and no braking power

Whatever fuse Greg pulled, my pump's still running, my braking power's awesome and my ABS doesn't work. Make sense? hell no. But I haven't really looked into it at all yet either.