Looks like possible PMIII problems on the horizon

Bossman429

So I was driving around today, and my ABS light came on. It has done it intermittently about once a month lately, and I've gotten it to shut off by turning the key off, then on again a few times.

Normally you turn the key, and a few seconds later you hear a fluid squish sound of the abs priming itself, or something similar. So I'd flip the key a few times til I hear the squish. Anyway, that's how I get the light to shut off. On to the real topic.

When my light came on this time, and instead of trying to get it to turn off, I messed with it for a little while to get some symptoms.

While the ABS light was on, if I tapped the pedal 3 times, the pump would cycle on, as usual. When I mashed on the pedal, it would go down a ways, and the BRAKE light would come on.

I then got the light to turn off. After this I did the same tests. I tapped the pedal 3 times and the pump cylced. I mashed it, and it didn't press down as far, and no lights came on.

Anyone else with experience with this system:

What are the symptoms of a failing accumulator?

Also, what are the symptoms of a failing master cylinder?

I've never seen the rear m/s reservoir go low, so I don't believe that the rear section of the m/s is failing, as I believe that's what happens to them.

The symptoms to these 2 common to fail components hasn't been clearly covered as far as I have seen from searching the board.

Any help is appreciated.

Guest Gp crazy

There is a relay on the unit and sometimes mine gets stuck. I just tap it the symptoms go away for a month or two I replaced the whole unit for 795.00 through prior inc. Shipped to my door. So far it has worked fine and the relay I should have replaced when I did whole thing! :bash:

Other than tapping the realy which is fine with me but :!: I will replace it soon then I will see if that is the real problem.

Also I found out that in snow if you spin tires the light comes on more also if your wheel hubs are bad or making sound or vibration it will set a light off also. If you replace the hub watch out for the sensor they are expensive!

good luck and if you find any more issues with this system send them to jb13069@aol.com