2003 Bonneville Radio

jmblimo

Just bought a CD/Cassette '03 Pontiac radio. It came cheap with the warning that it might be a bitch to get working in an older car. Something about the radio needing to be connected to the proper body computer with the VIN before it will work.

Any Tech2 technicians out there? More important; how do you get around the problem to make the unit work?

This is what I found over on the Bonnevile forum:

"The stereo has to have the Vin programmed by a tech2 scantool for the stereo to function, or something of that nature, leaving the stereo useless unless you have a tech2"

I bet it needs the original car VIN to work, which I don't have? With the proper programmer, could any VIN be programmed in?

Must communicate with the BCM to get the VIN? What would have to be done to fool it? Can that theftlock communication be disabled?

Probably will never work in my '95 Supreme!

I bet it needs to original car VIN to work which I don't have, or with the proper programmer, could any VIN be programmed in?

Where does it look for the VIN? Must communicate with the ECM? Probably will never work in my '95 Supreme!

I think it reads the VIN from the BCM, but I'm not positive on that.

The service info I have says:

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle.

A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

My guess is unlocking it just means it will want to "marry" itself to the new VIN. If you wanted it to work badly enough, you could also wire up a BCM (or whichever module has the VIN) and get them married to each other.

Brian, didn't you get yours from an Alero? If so, I think you HAVE to have a BCM for it to work.

The radio is enabled/disabled by class 2 messages from the body control module (BCM). The BCM contains an audio delay power timer which allows the radio to operate for up to 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off. The radio is deactivated when one of the following occurs:

1. Driver door is open.

2. The 10 minute timer has elapsed.

3. Loss of state of health message from the BCM.

#3 sounds like the radio has to see the state of health messages from the BCM or it won't work at all.

I think Shawn hit the nail on the head. From what I understand, the radio won't even function unless it's communicating with the BCM. The headunits in the "BCM" equipped newer GM's also serve as the "Master Control" for custom tailoring your auto locking (yes, you do use the radio for that :shock: , says so in my Malibu's owners manual) and a couple of other things I can't think of off the top of my head. The "chime" functions are also controlled by the radio (the radio plays the chime sound through the front speakers.) If you're replacing your stock head unit in a newer GM with an aftermarket HU, you have to buy a chime module adapter (they're like $75 :shock:) to retain the chime functions.

I was thinking about tracking down a couple of the rare Delco MP3/RDS head units for my 2 new vehicles instead of putting in aftermarket HU's, cause we have a friend who works at a Saturn dealership and has access to the Tech II so getting them to function would be a piece of cake. Not to mention the Impala has a factory amp (non-Bose) that I'd have to either adapt the Pioneer to, or rewire all of the speakers to bypass it :roll: .

Gotta love progress :lol: ...

I've seen them in Pontiacs, and once in a Cavalier. The Pontiac MP3's look the same as the regular CD/Cassette combo, but it has "MP3" on the front...

I was snooping around on eBay looking for the touch-screen units from the 04-05 Escalates et all, and from what I could tell, they didn't play MP3 CD's :( . That sure would be "the ultimate" upgrade if they did handle MP3's :drool: ...