Factory rear brake pads

pitzel

Ok, so I kind of suspect I might still have the factory brake pads and rotors on my rear wheels, a 1992 Cutlass Supreme.

Anyone here know how many miles one can expect out of the factory rear pads? I looked at them today and they appear to have plenty of pad left on them, but its not really possible to 'tell' whether they are factory or not.

If it looks like you have a decent amount of pad left, they are most likely not the stock brake pads.

Well grandpa (the previous owner) didn't have any brake work done on the car when he bought it in 2000 with 80,000km on it (50k miles). And I haven't touched it -- now at 109k km's/69k miles.

How possible is it for the rears to have required pad replacement before or at 50k miles? Surely the rears should last quite a bit longer than the fronts, no? Especially if 'elderly-driven' in a region of the country with no hills whatsoever?

Yes, they do last a lot longer. But.. you say theres still a decent amount of pad left on it. It leaves me to believe that the previous owner atleast changed them out sometime before he sold it to your G-pa.

Or it could be the w weak point in braking "they dont work" mine dont i replaced the back pads when i got the car b/c they where bare metal i looked at them a few weeks ago there not evan touching the rotor but owell it stops good with out em. i dont have the money right now to change the whole thing. :bash:

Or it could be the w weak point in braking "they dont work" mine dont i replaced the back pads when i got the car b/c they where bare metal i looked at them a few weeks ago there not evan touching the rotor but owell it stops good with out em. i dont have the money right now to change the whole thing. :bash:

I still get brake dust on my rears. Is that a sign that the rears are still working and haven't seized up?

I still get brake dust on my rears. Is that a sign that the rears are still working and haven't seized up?

No corrosion on any of the parts either. A lot of the slider issues seem to be related to significant corrosion, no? Or maybe it was all previously fixed and I am merely looking at the results..

Oh..the pleasures of owning a car with no maintenance history..