Update: Strut, mount or what? Can anyone help?

92gransport

Does anyone know what might be wrong? Here goes - '92 Regal GS Coupe - 104,700 miles. The right front is making a clanging noise when I hit any kind of bump, pothole or crack in the road. Does not do it when everything is perfectly smooth. When I look under the wheel well everything looks ok and no extra bounce on that side but the plate under the spring (right above tire) is loose and will move if I push on it. I assume it shouldn't do that. I'm not very familiar with the suspension on these fwd cars, so anyone know what may be in need of fixing - is the strut bad or the mount? Anything else?

Any help is much appreciated.

The plate under the spring is a bearing, and it can move depending on how hard you push on it. That's not to say it couldn't be bad, but usually when it's bad, you get noise when steering.

Definitely check to make sure your brake caliper bracket is on tight. You should be able to visually inspect the upper mount by removing the strut tower cover.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's an update - The main problem was in the caliper bracket as GnatGoSplat suggested. Turns out the bushings & bolts were bad. I ended up taking it to the garage I go to and they put in a new caliper bracket (said they couldn't get the bushings out without damaging the bracket) & new bushings & bolts. Also, the strut cartridge lock nut was loose, so they took care of that too. With parts, labor & tax it came out to $238

Just wish I had the patience that I used to for working on cars - I just get so damn frustrated anymore when things don't go smoothly.

Anyway, enough ranting. Thanks GnatGoSplat, you were right on!

wow I have the exact same problem it sounds like a hollow rattle as far as I can tell the tie rod and ball joint are fine and the control arm is new. I just replaced the rotors yesterday and the caliper bracket seemed fine nut Ive never takin it off before so I dont know. doesnt sound as bad as I thought it would, but im still gonna have to take it in