Lowering springs

W_bodylover

Well the reason i asked is because i want to put the GP 5 spokes rims on the GP 4 door (if i get it.) and i notice that some members that have done that have an enormous wheel gap. and i want to know what springs are the best to use

Guest TurboSedan

What year is the Grand Prix in question? I'm assuming 1st GEN ('88-'96 model)?

Intrax front springs will lower the car 1.8", but they only come in a set of four springs for the '95+ 1.5 & 2nd GEN W-bodies. The front springs can be used on a 1st GEN W-body, but this leaves you with two rear springs that are completely useless to you (since 1st GEN W-bodies use a rear transverse monoleaf spring and not coil springs like the 1.5 & 2nd GEN W-bodies use). There is a special group buy for ordering Intrax front springs only directly from Intrax, and the cost is $82.50 + shipping for the set of front springs. If you want them get in on the group buy ASAP (see Group Buy section thread for details). Otherwise, Susupension Techniques makes a 1.5" lowering spring, and I think they are available from JCWhitney for around $100 IIRC. I have Eibach 1.5" front lowering springs on my Cutlass right now from TDC (now out of business). I don't know where W-body Eibach lowering springs are available now (if at all), but FWIW the Eibach springs only lowered the front of my car about 1.2"....although ride quality is nice. There are also front coilover kits from Held Motorsports I believe, and FFP will supposedly have front coilover kits soon. So far no feedback on them though, so who knows :shrug: I don't know of anyone who has front coilovers on a W-body but they could be really nice.

If you want to lower the rear you have two options. I have adjustable rear coilovers from TDC that i bought with my front Eibach springs a few years ago. You can adjust the rear as low as you want with these (you can literally set the rear of the car on the ground if you wanted to) and you can also adjust the rear about 2" above stock. However IMO they are a poor design and I don't recommend rear coilover kits. FFP has rear coilover kits available now, and they are a slightly better design IMO than the discontinued TDC coilovers that I have (the FFP upper spring mount is much better than the TDC upper mount IIRC). I still wouldn't bother with rear coilovers at all considering you can buy a Birchmount rear transverse monoleaf lowering spring. You can have the spring ordered to lower your car to your own specs too, and it retains the factory designed rear suspension...so no stupid/common problems to deal with that the coilover kits have. The best part though, is that the Birchmount rear spring is only $155 USD.