boosting problem (kinda long)

no1kicker

This is a slightly long post. Hope you don't mind reading. :?

My car has has a boosting problem. When it started about 2 weeks ago, it would not boost at all. It happened suddenly. On the way to work it was great, leaving it felt like a vacuum hose had popped off, no boost. It ran great at low rpm's below boost. Idle was slightly unsteady.

I checked for loose connections. All the vacuum hoses and turbo piping was good. I tried bypassing the boost control soleniod, no change. Disconnected the vacuum hose at the turbo outlet, it boosted a little. Zip tied the wastegate shut, that made it boost fast, but it fell off even faster.

I believed the cat was plugged up. So today I cut it off and replaced it with straight pipe. The car idles much better. Power is better, but not 100%. Boosts a bit more now, but still has hesitation around 3000 rpm. Then after that it boosts slowly, and shifts really hard. I can hear the turbo working, just don't feel it that much.

Now I'm stumped. The plugs and wires are less than a year old. Could they be the cause? Coils are 3 years old.

As of now the car is normal up til the point of making boost. Then it hesitates, and boosts slowly.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. :?

I think you can tap the MAP sensor, and if it's bad, the engine will stumble.

Werd, I'd also look at your plugs, see what they look like. I had a stumble ended up being coils. Don't rule out injectors, boost makes them work, and injectors make boost. If they are failing, you would get slow boost (or it won't run at all) and the higher the boost, the more they have to pulse.

How do you tap the MAP sensor? Tonight, the car had more power. Car runs great until 3000 rpm. Then it stutters, and the car has decent boost after that. Maybe 85% of what it's supposed to be. Would that rule out injectors or no?

So I just hit it? Thought "tapping it" was some special procedure. :lol:

I have smelled gas for a bit after driving the car, for a long time. Smells like I was running a little rich. I assumed it was cause of the crossover, all of them are a bit cracked.

So I just hit it? Thought "tapping it" was some special procedure. :lol:

I have smelled gas for a bit after driving the car, for a long time. Smells like I was running a little rich. I assumed it was cause of the crossover, all of them are a bit cracked.

I was a tiny bit unclear on how you "tap". I was hoping you hadn't drilled a hole in your MAP sensor, but I know you're not a moron. :lol:

Maybe your crossover got worse?

Hmm, I hope it didn't get worse. :? The car's not stalling, and there's not that "rust" look around the pipe.

I pulled a plug today and it looks normal except deposits around the edge. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull a few more. Here's a pic:

plug5an.jpg

I also cleaned the TPS connector and reset the ECM, maybe that will help. Also going to run some fuel system cleaner through.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Greg,

Have you ever run some of the GM "top end cleaner" through your car? You would be suprised how much smoke & crap comes out after doing this. High end studder is lmost always a coil / igition issue.

HTH

Wouldn't be a bad idea^

We tried the MAP from my car last night, that wasn't it. Still ran the same. He grabbed the coils off my car and is going to try to swap them when he can.

Greg, even thought it's looking like that's the issue, I'd grab a spark checker and go through all the cylinders one by one, have someone watch them at idle and under load, just to see if anything's irregular. I'd put it on the coil end of the wires just so you don't have to try getting to the rear plugs.

Have you ever run some of the GM "top end cleaner" through your car?

I always heard that this is a bad idea on a turbo car, because it sends all that shit, and carbon through the turbo's turbine wheel.

Unless someone can verify otherwise... I did run some intake cleaner on the beretta, and it did seem to run a little smoother afterwards.

I've never run any top end cleaner. Wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it's safe for the turbo. But I think I remember reading something about Ty/Sy guys using it, so it has to be safe.

I grabbed a spark tester today. And some new plugs, those are going in regardless. I looked for a fuel pressure tester today but nobody rents one.

Thanks again for the suggestions, trying to get this fixed for dyno day Sunday! :bash:

Guest TurboSedan
I looked for a fuel pressure tester today but nobody rents one.

just piece one together at NAPA. that's what we did (my brother and i that is). just make sure you get a liquid filled gauge. we didn't and the needle vibrates too much although it still works ok. if you don't want to piece one together http://www.fwdperformance.com has a nice one for $65 (it would work just fine for our engines too), but you could make your own for less.

as far as the GM TEC goes, i wouldn't be afraid to use it. it's not like you're going to blow a chunk of aluminum loose or something :lol: and i doubt the carbon buildup or whatever else could hurt the turbine anyway.

I always heard that this is a bad idea on a turbo car, because it sends all that shit, and carbon through the turbo's turbine wheel.

Unless someone can verify otherwise... I did run some intake cleaner on the beretta, and it did seem to run a little smoother afterwards.

People have said that, but how exactly would it get to that point unless someone sucked it through the air filter or somewhere else before the turbo? :shrug: it would most likely get sucked straight into the plenum, avoiding the turbo all together.

Actually.. I guess shit does get in the oil.. just do an oil change very soon afterwards.

Guest TurboSedan

People have said that, but how exactly would it get to that point unless someone sucked it through the air filter or somewhere else before the turbo? :shrug: it would most likely get sucked straight into the plenum, avoiding the turbo all together.

Actually.. I guess shit does get in the oil.. just do an oil change very soon afterwards.

because whatever air the compressor shoves into the plenum is going to end up going through the turbine shortly afterwards! before the air filter is not an issue...the filter will stop any debris and that's before (upstream) from adding the GM TEC anyway. if the GM TEC cleans & burns off MASS amounts of carbon buildup in the engine i suppose that might damage the turbine, but i seriously doubt it.

and yes it's definately a good idea to change oil & filter and also spark plugs after using GM TEC.