Short speedo vid(no sound unfortunately) ~20-112mph

mfewtrail

I took this today http://files.rudefyet.com/tgp.avi , figured I'd share. I went from a roll so I wouldn't wreck holding the camera/while burning the tires off. :lol: My speedo is correct at lower speeds, but eventually goes to being ~12-15mph off at higher speeds(checked with local law enforcement speed signs/radar..HUD is always dead on). I was actually doing 112mph when let off the gas in the vid. Also, started on flat pavement and then started going uphill a bit around 70ish. I'll have some better videos in the near future with a camcorder as my digi cam w/ no sound just doesn't cut it. If my brother stops by with his new camcorder soon, I'll get some exhaust clips, flybys, etc....BTW, DON'T MIND THE anti-lock light...accumulator is on it's way out(fixing to take care of that).

Mucho thanks to matt(rudefyet) for hosting!!!!! 8)

Mods: Topgun 160, K&N filter(on the turbo), 160* t-stat, custom exhaust(carsound high flow cat & a universal resonator, 2.5'' piping).

You can see my timeslip in the "1/4 mile page" thread I started recently(my time is on the right side of the slip, left side was old V8 chevy station wagon), I ran the 14.7(@ 1100') w/ a different intake and the stock exhaust piping(same cat/resonator). I think I can easily run a 14.4-14.5 w/ traction at my local track on street tires now...or at least, I'm going to try to when the track opens back up (should be around 30-40* on most track nights for a while here).

EDIT: I'll see if I can host my NA 3.1 0-70ish vid(my 93 SE) for comparisons sake...it takes about that much time to go from 50-70. :oops: Before long, it will be able to easily put the TGP in the rearview mirror though.

My Speedo is only off by 5mph all the way to the top....60=55 actual 65=60 100=95 .... Dic if I reset it thou its always on....and always 5mph slower then the speedo......The Grand Am GT I have is the same way 60=55 70=65....

so I dont mind it lets my mind think Im speeding everywhere and the cops dont bug me.....

oh it wasnt that slow, iv seen worse - 3.0 Mercury Sable - 0-60 in mabye, 12 seconds, 2.5 Iron Duke Chevy Celebrity Wagon - 0-60 in ohhh id say 15-17 seconds, trust me, iv seen worse.

Guest TurboSedan
oofta...

haha you must be norweigan :lol: (i am too, seems like i'm the only one that says Uff-Da around here)

kickass video! speedo needle went up much quicker than i was expecting :shock:

oh it wasnt that slow, iv seen worse - 3.0 Mercury Sable - 0-60 in mabye, 12 seconds, 2.5 Iron Duke Chevy Celebrity Wagon - 0-60 in ohhh id say 15-17 seconds, trust me, iv seen worse.

Yeah, the NA 3.1 isn't that bad. I'm going to run it at the track this season also, I'm expecting something like mid 17's or so. :oops:

Guest TurboSedan
notice in the 80's GM played with all the turbo stuff, Grand Nationals, Trans Am, Grand AM, Grand Prix, all turbo, thats crazy, any Chevy's that were turbo at the time?

the Chevrolet 60* 3.1L V6 was turbocharged :wink: the only other Chevrolet engine that was turbocharged around that time was the Sy/Ty 4.3L i believe. i see what you mean though; most of the turbo engines from GM were practically reserved for Buick & Pontiac.

notice in the 80's GM played with all the turbo stuff, Grand Nationals, Trans Am, Grand AM, Grand Prix, all turbo, thats crazy, any Chevy's that were turbo at the time?

Grand Am? I was gonna challenge you on that, but did my research first....Learn something new every day! Looks like it has the Sunbird GT turbo 2.0. I always liked the look of those Grand Ams with the ground effects.

Although it probably doesn't count. The Callaway Corvette came turbocharged from 88 or 89 to 92 or 93. Other than that I can't think of any turbo chevys from that era. Except for the turbo sprint, but that shouldn't count either, rebadged Suzuki.

well, i forgot how many turbo cars GM had, yea, they also had the Geo Metros w/ a turbo also, and the Grand am Turbos were from 86-88 or somthing, u cant even get stuff from the dealer for them, the dealer doesnt even think it exsits, they have a T2 w/ 150 some horsepower, good for mid to low 15's

-It was the Quad 4 that had 150 hp (160 lbs-ft torque).

-The Grand Am Turbo, made from '87 - '89, had 165 hp/175 lbs-ft torque.

-They were good for high 15's/low 16's.

-The HO Quad 4 that came out the following year put out 180 hp/160 tq.

Class dismissed. :shock:

• 3 weeks later...
I think chevy got a turbo suv, I cant remember what the chevy was, same thing as a GMC typhoon.

There was a GMC typhoon based off of the Jimmy. The Syclone was based off of the S-15. The Sonoma GT soon followed, but only had the Syclone's appearance package, but no turbo 4.3.

I don't believe there was ever a turbo in a Blazer, or S-10, it was all GMC.