Yet another 2.8litre stalling out....

greekguy7

My 1988 Grand Prix with a 2.8litre loves to stall out at low speeds. The ignition control module, crank sensor and idle air control valve are all new as well as plugs, filters, clean out the throttle body, etc. I did an idle relearn a few times and it doesnt feel like its the TCC in the trans and besides it does it when I dont have it in overdrive also. I was thinking it may be the throttle position sensor?? I do get a code 43 but thats the knock sensor and its been giving me that code for ages. What you guys think?? Thanks!

My guess would have been the IAC :think: ......

I don't think the TPS would be the problem... although you can check that just by unplugging it while the car is running....

I would look at that knock sensor for sure......

The knock sensor has a really crappy connector and they like to come unpluged sometimes. Might be good to check. It's on the back of the motor and it's a single wire connector.

If you can put your hands on one, try swapping out the ECM. I had a stalling problem at low speed or sitting stopped at idle. Turned out to be a bad ECM.

Wait... an 88', that has a MAF doesn't it? Might want to check that out.

The knock sensor will cause that because the engine's timing is being retarded. Check the sensor's connector, but in the meantime you can put something (like a little folded up duct tape, not too thick) between the idle screw and the throttle plate, this worked on my 3.1L engine when I had a broken KS... no stalling.

My 1988 Grand Prix stalled and ran like garbage until I got rid of the MAF sensor. If your MAF isn't working right it can run rich and gum up your engine with carbon. Should try cleaning your TB/IAC again, or top-engine cleaner. Maybe your fuel injectors or something else in your fuel system is dirty, maybe dirty fuel filter.

Heres how you get rid of your MAF sensor (and put on a newer style airbox).

http://wbodysource.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=266

GP1138.... while your knock sensor was broken, did your car stall out?? Did replacing the knock sensor fix the problem? Thanks!!

Well, I found out that it was just the knock sensor cord that was broken, so I spliced a new connector on it, but I had bought a new knock sensor anyway, so I just installed that. Yes, it did fix my problem. Look and see if the connector is connected.