BLING.

GutlessSupreme

Wow, sure looks like that car has come a long way!!

Lots of hard work, but I'm sure it's paying off. I only wish I had the time and knowledge to do that. Good luck with the rest of it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GutlessSupreme

• gp90se

• GP1138

• Prospeeder

Well.. it ran.

Like ass.

I need to the valve covers and check out the rocker arms to make sure I did them right...

is it possible to adjust them without pulling the intake manifolds? cause I think I'll cry if I have to do all that again.

Engine also SHAKES like fuck... it did that before I pulled it apart to though (not all the time though). I need a new belt tensioner pulley for sure.. it vibrates up and down like hell. Could that be the cause of the engine shake?

Have an exhaust leak too, but I had that before I pulled it apart too.. 90% sure I just need to tighten down the lower rear crossover nut (need a 3/8" deep socket for it and I didn't have one.. only had 1/4" drive)

Have you checked to make sure all of your motor and tranny mounts are good? As for pulling the upper plenum off again, you've done it before, so this time it will not take half as long, guaranteed.

Have you checked to make sure all of your motor and tranny mounts are good? As for pulling the upper plenum off again, you've done it before, so this time it will not take half as long, guaranteed.

the uppers are fine, haven't checked the others..

pulling the plenum is no biggie, I just don't want to pull the lower intake... :?

it shakes, what did u do 2 the poor car???

lol it ran mint when u picked it up, check the lower motor mount, they blow out.

Im not sure your gunna be able 2 get the the rear valve cover without yanking the lower intake, either way, good luck

ill have some time off in a week or 2, gimme a ring and ill come help ya get it running right....... I figured when I sold it I wouldnt have to worry about it again, but lol thats alright

Keep us updated

alright thanks, i just wanted to know what it did, i dont care how it works or what its made of, thanks alot!

The more you work on your car, the more you'll start caring about Anti-Sieze.. a whole whole lot.

Ok, done with a ton of emails though getting replies too all those now :cry: Backing up to your smoking (need nicoret? :lol: ), white smoke is a good chance at the turbo oil drain line being bad, commonly spoke of on here, often a new one was all that was needed and owners got away without a turbo rebuild, hoping the same for you.

As for the rough running, doubt engine mounts if its that rough, taking some guesses and don’t be offended if you know these, need to be sure, did you get some Intake Pushrods mixed with some Exhaust Pushrods??...they are different lengths, and I think you would agree if this was the problem at least you can fix it now instead of more troubleshooting :) . If not then look for anything you may have missed when putting it back together hoping to find something you can laugh at missing and get her happy again and you too 8). That much work can lead to intake leaks, lower intake though checking that is not too hard, pull off the breather tube from the front valve cover, rev up your engine with your finger over that hole and see if it pulls any kind of vacuum, if it does then the lower intake gasket is leaking. About all I can suggest right now, just remember how it ran before and after and go after those things changes and/or disturbed first before looking through a bunch of new problems.

Jeff M

it shakes, what did u do 2 the poor car???

lol it ran mint when u picked it up, check the lower motor mount, they blow out.

I'll check the mount for sure.. but it started doing the shaking on it's own, long before I pulled it apart :( It wouldn't do it all the time though.

Im not sure your gunna be able 2 get the the rear valve cover without yanking the lower intake, either way, good luck

I got it off.. just had to yank the engine forward, pull the alt and the throttle cable braket on the back of the plenum. After that I was able to get to it, even got a wrench in there enough to make sure all the rocker nuts were snug were they should be.

I thought it was a pain rocking the engine forward without all that crap on it.. gets harder when you need to pull the downpipe and squash the upper charge pipe coupling with it :lol:

ill have some time off in a week or 2, gimme a ring and ill come help ya get it running right....... I figured when I sold it I wouldnt have to worry about it again, but lol thats alright

I'm gonna work on it hardcore tomorrow after school.. I hope I can get it all set then because I'm pretty damn booked up for the rest of the week. I'll keep you in mind if I still need you in the upcoming weeks though :wink: thanks man

Backing up to your smoking (need nicoret? :lol: ), white smoke is a good chance at the turbo oil drain line being bad, commonly spoke of on here, often a new one was all that was needed and owners got away without a turbo rebuild, hoping the same for you.

Hopefully that's all, if anything. Both the turbine and compressor had no play whatsoever so it shouldn't really be anything internal I don't think.

As for the rough running, doubt engine mounts if its that rough, taking some guesses and don’t be offended if you know these, need to be sure, did you get some Intake Pushrods mixed with some Exhaust Pushrods??...they are different lengths, and I think you would agree if this was the problem at least you can fix it now instead of more troubleshooting :) .

I am almost 100% positive that every pushrod went back exactly on the valve it came off of. If all else fails, of course, I'll be pulling the LIM and checking.. but I really don't want to tear it all down again if at all possible :(

If not then look for anything you may have missed when putting it back together hoping to find something you can laugh at missing and get her happy again and you too 8). That much work can lead to intake leaks, lower intake though checking that is not too hard, pull off the breather tube from the front valve cover, rev up your engine with your finger over that hole and see if it pulls any kind of vacuum, if it does then the lower intake gasket is leaking.

If I can get it started again, will do. I hope it's not the gasket, I even tore it off the first time I did it and ruined a gasket set because I wasn't sure I was satisfied on how tight I sealed it up. Did it all over again to be safe.

Besides the shaking that started beforehand, there was one other oddity that I noticed before taking it apart..

I was constantly having to jump the battery because I let it run probably completely dead a number of times, and a lot of these times it would take several tries to get the car started, even if I hooked up the Cutlass and let it juice up for a while. The crank itself would always sound strong, at least for the first 10-15 seconds or so, but it still took very long to catch and start up.

I finally borrowed a battery charger from a friend and just hooked it up for a full day. After that, it started first crank, every time. The crank itself didn't sound any stronger than before. I'm hoping (long shot) that such is the case now, and if I throw a charger on it for a while I'll get lucky and be boosting in no time :wink:

Ahh the problem was there before too :shock: , gots to fix things before you make them better/faster ya knows :) Yea I hope you don’t have to get back far enough in it to be at the pushrods :evil: As for the battery and only guessing from that (no other tips or ideas you have about running rough before) always check the grounds unless you did, few on the front of the engine, one to the chassie at the AC Liquid Receiver Tank. Do you get at least 12.8 volts when running the engine, 13.2 or more is better if you give it some idle rpms??

And the Mascara I referred to was actually on the front aero bumper lip by the headlights, not on the headlights, but not important to know, just adding things up on what was done what years with these cars.

Jeff M

Jeff, the headlights are from a 93, the nose is from an 89 and the lip (which he needs to put back on) is from a 90.

I know it sounds stupid, but put a small amount of gumout or starting fluid in the intake, I couldnt get the car to start without doing it 1ce in a while. It isnt an injector problem, the cars just stubborn.

The main ground cable from the battery is a mess, but it's all just insulation (looks melted, probably hit the turbo a few times). I retaped it for now; it shouldn't be causing me any problems.

The ground under the AC pipes I just snipped and relocated when I was going through the harness.. couldn't get the nut off for shit. I should take a look at that though, because I can't remember for the life of me where I ended up bolting it down.

It definetly couldn't hurt to clean up some ground contact points either..

Jeff S., can I pull the vac lines on top of the TB and spray some in there? or should I pull the charge pipe and spray directly into the TB butterfly? Just cause it's a pain getting that pipe back on good.. I'd rather remove the IAC plate every time, quite frankly.

I know it's tempermental as hell but I still wonder why it does that :evil:

best with the intake pipe off since the vac lines aim into the turbo pipe rather then the plenum. you could pull the plug outta the back of the plenum and spray into there, replug it and try 2 start it. When ya putting the turbo hose back in, use a little lube (vasoline or silicone spray) on the coupler, should slide right in (astroglide is best, but that gets used for other things) :mrgreen:

I ran the car off gumout carb cleaner 2 move it while the fuel pump was dead, that stuff works great.

I ran the car off gumout carb cleaner 2 move it while the fuel pump was dead, that stuff works great.

:shock: That's.. wonderful to know. I'd be wary of buying that car if I knew that beforehand...

:shock: That's.. wonderful to know. I'd be wary of buying that car if I knew that beforehand...

You'd be crazy to NOT be wary of buying this:

front.jpg

rear%20driver%20quarter.jpg

engine1.jpg

:lol: :lol:

LOL that car was pretty ugly in the pics....but she ran like a raped ape...when she ran.

He knew what he was getting himself into, I never hid any of the history of the car. It has the potential to be beautiful again, I just didnt have the drive to bring it back to that state. Tony has done a damn good job of getting it back in shape and Im glad he bought it rather then me torching it :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...

Heh.

The problem was indeed the rockers not being tight enough.

I still need to borrow a good torque wrench to make sure they're all at least even, and I can't get to two of the rockers on the rear bank with the top end on the motor. At least not with the bits I have at the moment (5 bucks at sears will take care of that).

But WOW. It runs so much better now. Before the turbo was barely even spooling.

I still have another assload and a half of little things to do before it hits the road, and I'm already in debt about $300 bucks for the next few weeks.. sooo we'll see what happens :?

I didn't drive it yet because the valve covers are still off, the dogbones are unbolted and I have no driver's seat at the moment.. but it should be in shape enough to at least drive around the neighborhood by Saturday.

Also vacuumed another gallon of water out of it today.. need to find that leak :evil:

It's getting there 8)

and I'm already in debt about $300 bucks for the next few weeks..

Why would that be???? :lol: :smilielol:

J/K man... I wanted to comment on this earlier....

Your upper plenem and valve covers look frgn amazing!!!!

even better in person! I am glad you got the rocker arms figured out....

I would LOVE to see how that thing runs! I bet that thing is uberfast!

and I'm already in debt about $300 bucks for the next few weeks..

Why would that be???? :lol: :smilielol:

Speaking of which.. I'm dropping $70 in the mail today, so let me know when it gets there ;) (along with a money order for someone else that I've been meaning to put in the mailbox for three weeks :shock: )

Your upper plenem and valve covers look frgn amazing!!!!

even better in person! I am glad you got the rocker arms figured out....

I would LOVE to see how that thing runs! I bet that thing is uberfast!

Thanks! :D I spent a lot of time on those with the die grinder... I'm very pleased with the results.

Uberfast indeed 8) but because of you it's gonna be uberfun too :wink: