BLING.

GutlessSupreme

See page three for the blingage 8)

56k take a power nap

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we've been having occasional warm days and homework levels have kind of dropped off, I've finally had some time to work on my baby..

I pulled the radiator because of a leak and basically started taking out everything that was around it too. Basically, any metal parts I pull I'm going to sand or blast and repaint them as I go. Trying to get as much done at once as I can.

I believe I fixed the radiator leak, once I pulled it I saw that it was a hole about the size of two pin heads (if that was the only one, but I believe it was). Dabbed a bit of JB weld on it, should hold just fine.

IMG_6450%20(Small).jpg

IMG_6431%20(Small).jpg

IMG_6439%20(Small).jpg

I started sanding the frame.. the core is a fucking mess though :? but if it still holds and does it's job, I can't justify the price of a recore right now just because it looks bad. Anyone know how I could clean it without damaging it though?

IMG_6440%20(Small).jpg

Pulled IC.. it's up for a repaint. The paint was literally coming off in large flakes.

IMG_6449%20(Small).jpg

one of the tranny lines.. I couldn't break the nut loose from the radiator so I just unclamped the other end from the hose and pulled it with the radiator. Saturated it with some PB Blaster and it eventually broke loose. Also up for a repaint.

And while the radiator and intercooler and everything else was out of way.. ;)

IMG_6465%20(Small).jpg

hehe

IMG_6469%20(Small).jpg

front strap mounts and one stabalizer bar, sandblasted and repainted ;) lookin hawt. I was doing some work for Greg that I owed him and figured I'd take some of my stuff along, that's all I had time for though. I'll be going back to do the other bar, the intercooler pipes, plenum, valve covers (or at least the front), possibly the dog bones, and whatever else I can find.

IMG_6441%20(Small).jpg

Kinda empty-ish.

Not really much, but I'm so happy I'm finally getting stuff done :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GutlessSupreme

• gp90se

• GP1138

• Prospeeder

looks good. are you going to soak the inside of the IC with Berryman's Chem dip?

Never heard of it. cleaner? Any how dirty would the inside of the IC get? :?

Guest TurboSedan

it comes in a gallon sized can and is used to clean carburetor parts etc. i would poor that stuff into the IC and let it sit for awhile, then slosh it around a little and let is soak again. when you pour it out flush it out really good with clean water and let it dry completely. you'll probably be surprised how dirty the inside is when you dump it all out; mostly black oil residue (and lots of it). i've even seen dead leaves come out of my brother's IC :shock:

Hey Tony thanks again for sandblasting those parts. :) Could you do me a small favor? Do you have any way to measure the dia/thread size of the tranny cooler fittings on the trans lines? Or, if you are going to have them off for a bit, could I take one to home depot or somewhere to measure it. I want to try and put the sensor for the trans temp gauge there.

Glad to see some stuff being done. Definately clean the IC while it's out. I remember that you can use paint thinner also, just make sure it dries obviously. And I thought I read that no paint on the IC might be a good thing. I might be wrong, but there was a topic about it somewhere.

It seems to me like the heat transfer would be a lot better with no paint on the intercooler. I don't have any proof of that, but logic tells me so. It would be harder for heat to dissipate with that layer of paint on there. If anything, I would strip the paint off my IC while I had it out.

Looks like you've been busy lately. That radiator does not look too promising though. It could probably use a recore in the next 6 months to a year. It cost me $250 to get mine re-cored, which I thought was fairly decent.

Shawn

Any word on the price of the chem dip? I guess I'll be doing that :)

Greg - no problem ;) And I'll see what I can do. Usually those places have a fitment board out in front of all the nuts and bolts so I can see which size it'll screw into..

I hadn't thought about the intercooler paint thing until it was mentioned.. good point though. I guess I'll just shine that up and leave it unpainted.

Radiator, if it holds now anyway, will most likely get it's recore over the summer. But I can definetly see it coming in the nearish future. Until then I'm gonna try a comb on some of it and see if I can use that chem dip or something else on the fins to try to clean it up a little.

1 new pic..

IMG_6479%20(Small).jpg

threw a trashbag over it for now. Hopefully I can go blast some things today so I can get them back on.

While ya in there, the EGR valve gasket is in the door pannel, might wanna put it back on :shock: :lol:

Looks good man, I cant even remember how many times ive had the top part of that motor apart, but recheck all the wiring on the fuel injectors, i think the idiot who did the wiring on the car left wires exposed which I taped back together.

how are the 3.4 injectors working out for ya?

I was trying 2 get the car back together so he could drive it home and not waste another trip to my house and have it not running. When I had it back together the EGR valve gasket was laying on the plenum, i said screw it. didnt seem to leak but I didnt drive it after.

FYI, the chem dip comes in a spray can for $3.99 and the bucket of it is $14.99

While you have the valve covers off, throw some 1.6 roller rockers in there. :twisted:

Shawn

I'd love to :twisted: we'll see what happens...

While ya in there, the EGR valve gasket is in the door pannel, might wanna put it back on :shock: :lol:

Already put it in a ziploc with the EGR nuts :lol: I still have to replace that same gasket on the Cutlass.. broke it when I took the plenum off to paint it.

Looks good man, I cant even remember how many times ive had the top part of that motor apart, but recheck all the wiring on the fuel injectors, i think the idiot who did the wiring on the car left wires exposed which I taped back together.

how are the 3.4 injectors working out for ya?

I'm working on getting a new harness just because of the state of this one.. :? kinda messy.

And it's still running pretty rich actually :shock: I've got droplets spewing out the exahaust pipes. Hopefully fixing the crossover will slightly cure that.

wow, EGR with no gasket....there's a nice boost leak :lol:

Wow I hadn't even thought of that :shock: never occured to be I'd be leaking boost there. Gotta make sure I put it back on then.

I was trying 2 get the car back together so he could drive it home and not waste another trip to my house and have it not running. When I had it back together the EGR valve gasket was laying on the plenum, i said screw it. didnt seem to leak but I didnt drive it after.

:shock:

"You're early!"

:lol: lol I surprised him a bit when I came to pick it up. I had to go to work that afternoon so I started out early and he didn't have time to finish throwing it back together before I got there. Just glad we got it started :lol:

FYI, the chem dip comes in a spray can for $3.99 and the bucket of it is $14.99

werd. I'll have to grab me some of that.

In the meantime, only one update...

IMG_6550b.jpg

<3 air tools

That looks really nice man! What tools did you use? Very nice! Almost chromed!

Thanks a lot! :D I dunno what to call it. It's a rotational air tool that has a backing pad mounted to it that I can screw different abrasive discs into. Started off with the roughest one to wear down all the nasty casting marks and impurities and worked my way down two textures until I got that shine. Worked freakin great :)

Thank you and thank you :)

Took around two hours. I still have to go over hard to reach spots with a dremel though.

Also have to repaint the black paint. I'll just mask off the area surrounding it, lay some primer down, break out the black, then once that dries I'll remove the tape and just go over it with the orbital again quick to get the paint off the lettering. Frig masking the lettering off, too much of a pita.

should take some measurements of the Radiator and make a drawing of it....so we can see about getting somoene to build an aluminum Radiator for the TGP STE's

if someone can send me a tgp rad i can have them made for between 400-550 for all tig welded alum and custom shrouds

Alright, plenum's off, radiator's out, turbo's off, battery's out, crossover is two nuts short of being out... what should I replace/do while I'm already this deep into it?

Guest TurboSedan
Alright, plenum's off, radiator's out, turbo's off, battery's out, crossover is two nuts short of being out... what should I replace/do while I'm already this deep into it?

powerwash radiator and/or get it flushed out, along with Chem-dipping the intercooler. check turbo shaft play. replace O2 sensor if needed. what crossover pipe do you have? i would seriously consider replacing it with a Jeff M pipe or at least getting some new flex bellows welded in if you still have a stock TGP crossover pipe. otherwise just check everything over really good and clean stuff.

Guest TurboSedan

oh yeah, check PCV S-hose along with a new PCV valve, ohm test the injectors, hell i would pull them out of the LIM and fuel rail and replace all 12 injector O-rings along with the fuel line O-rings! inspect fuel injector sub wiring harness, along with vacuum lines....