Hissing and Popping Radio

gregs89oldscutlass

I have a 89 cutlass supreme international series and I want to keep the car originial, The radio has started to making hissing sounds and the right front speakers constantly pop and crack. Is this problem in the radio or the amp for this particular model. The radio that I have is the all pushbutton am/fm cassette with 5 band EQ.

Thanks,

Greg

89 OLDS cutlass supreme international series

92 Chevrolet Blazer

98 GMC Sonoma

99 OLDS alero (total piece of crap)

Playing a casette will rule out the radio. If it still pops you could have a lose wire, or a bad channel in your amp. I don't know why there would be hissing.. dirty connection?

I know my gradmpas car used to click and pop because of a bad ground wire.. maybe you have a bad ground to your amp or deck..

- Jeff L.

It does it with both the radio and the cassette. I don't know for sure where the amp for the radio is located but it is a pretty interesting setup. Over on at the fog light switch is a AUDIO BASS LEVEL control which controls the levels of the subwoofers in the rear deck. It would be a good setup if the popping and cracking would stop.

Greg

I think I have the same sound system as you. Is it this one?

deckSMALL.jpg

Mine did the same thing about a year ago. It persisted for about 6 months and then mysteriously stopped. The popping hasn't happened since!