addco rear sway bar problems and coil over problems

dohc v6

so i put the new sway bar in and it is nice and all but when ever i go over a bump now it makes a horriable noise. so i looked under there and it looks like when i go over a bump the wheel goes up and the bar is hitting the brake line connection. so did i do anything wrong because i cant have this anymore. now the rear coild overs i put in and when i when i put the sway bar in i noticed that the sleeve is waring. did i put them in wrong. is any body elses doing this.

Guest TurboSedan

i had the Addco bar on my car but removed it because of issues with the inner brackets. i also have rear coilovers on my car.

it is possible to install the Addco bar upside down; been there done that. i'm not sure if that's your problem though. when i installed my Addco bar upside down it completely binded up the rear suspension and made horrible noises over bumps. i don't think i had any problems with the brake line though.

as for the coilovers, why would the sleeve be wearing? do you mean the threads on the sleeve? there shouldn't be anything in that area that makes contact with the sleeve, at least there isn't on my car.

how would you know if the bar is ypside down and the sleeve is waring because i was told that i put the springs upside down. and i am designing some brackets to make the bar more stiff. but the bar is hitting the part on the brake where the rear line connects to the metal pipe from the brake master cyclinder

Guest TurboSedan

it is pretty easy to accidentally install it upside down. i know there is a pic on w-body.com under suspension upgrades i think....study the pic and compare it to the bar in your car. from the sounds of it i'm betting you installed it upside down.

i have TDC coilovers on my car but they are very similar to the FFP coilovers. i think the springs can go in either way, IOW the top of the spring is the same as the bottom; neither end is tapered.

Guest TurboSedan

pic from w-body.com:

addco-swaybar.jpg

just make sure the bar is installed exactly like that. if it's installed upside down the bar will hit against the lateral control arms.

it does not hit the lateral arms. but that car is not lowered. i think that is the problem. i called addco and they said that it i should put some spacer plates between the end bushings where the strut bolts come through. my bar does high up at the end the bar in the picture does kinda flat

Guest TurboSedan

hmmmm :think: any way you can get a pic of the bar in your car? i'm not sure i understand exactly what problem you are having. my bar did not interfere with my brakes although i have '94+ rear brakes...

i got a pic on my phone that is very clear do you have a e-mail. any ways i used both brakets that the kit came with and it is now about an inch away from the brake line and 1 mm from the lateral arm does that matter. because the bar moves with the lateral arms.

how would you know if the bar is ypside down and the sleeve is waring because i was told that i put the springs upside down. and i am designing some brackets to make the bar more stiff. but the bar is hitting the part on the brake where the rear line connects to the metal pipe from the brake master cyclinder

I have the Addco bar on my GP....and the FFP Coilovers.....i have lowered the rear about an inch....it took alot of trial and error to make it work right

...yes, on my car the bar hit the passenger side break line bracket....(I know exactly whichone u are talkin about).....

The bracket is bolted on the bottom of its mount.....

i just undid the bolt holding the bracket and swithced it from the bottom of the mount to the top.....and it gave me enought clearance.....

I also had to cut some metal away with a torch to create room where the bar curves around the strut......

seeing how i dont even drill a hole for a speaker wire it does not sound like a good way to make something fit. thanks though. i will just probably get a custom bracket made

seeing how i dont even drill a hole for a speaker wire it does not sound like a good way to make something fit. thanks though. i will just probably get a custom bracket made

what?

it took me like 10 minutes to take out the bolt....line it up on the top side...drill a hole and bam..i had at least an inch of more of room.....

why waste the time for a custom bracket?