Z34's organs out the bottom, HELP!!!

Aaron

[silly Oklahomian accent]Hey yalls[/accent]

Well I'm a fixen to pull the tranny out of my white car, and replace it with the one from the red car. I think it will be easier than pulling the motor/tranny out the top when I have no reason to pull the motor, it is just added work. But I have never dropped the cradle on a Z34 before, and it is looking harder than I thought. I just want any extra tips that anyone has, I know sombody's done this before. My main issues I think will be the power steering components and seperating the engine/tranny.

I really am intimidated. So any hints are greatly appreciated, and as a reward, yalls ole get pics of my full header/exhaust setup

THANKS!!!

if you want to do it the uber easy way you could just disconnect the struts at the balljoints and drop the cradle, a arms and all out the bottom.

disconnect the powersteering rack (2bolts) and tie it up, disconnect the power steering lines from the cradle (10mm bolts), engine wiring harnas, etc, etc. fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, brake booster hose, there might be some more odds and ends, but after that take out the 4 engine cradle bolts, but stay the fuck out from under the car, when it finally falls, it falls fast. you could try supporting the engine with a cherry picker and gently lowering it after the bolts are out too.

I don't want to deal with undoing all of the electrical connections, all the accesories, the exhaust, the oil, water, etc. It will be easier to just remove the tranny out the bottom I think. That is how they change the clutches in the car.

Guest TurboSedan
I say it would be a lot easier to pull both together through the top and swap the tranny on thr floor.

i couldn't agree more....pull both out the top it is extremely easy.

but if you do it through the bottom....good luck getting the transmission input shaft to clear the clutch with the motor in place. out the bottom sound like a huge pain in the ass to me.

All the tranny shops I know of pull just the tranny out the bottom. If it was easier to pull both, you would think they would do it that way. I've never done it before, so I'm not sure how to do it, but I know it can be done, and its not super hard because the tranny shop that put the tranny in my dads GTP took the tranny out, rebuilt it, and put it back in in one day, and there was only 1 guy working on it. So it can't be too difficult. The only problem then is that the cradle might not be straight and you'll probably need an alignment.

Shawn

It will be definately easier to go out the bottom, I'm just wondering if there is somehting I didn't think about, like the alignment, but that's not a big deal.

I just pulled out the top my 186498164th 3.4/284, and ti sucked. It is not a 1 person job, and there is so much work going into it. And they don't just come right out. You have to tilt the entire combo about 45* in order for it to clear the sides. And you have to remove, whent he motor is int he car, the alternator, exhaust manis and crossover, drain coolant(with the accidental drink here and there), pop gas lines, drain oil, get uber dirty, A/C, ignition, radiator/fans have to come out, so much has to come out in order for it to clear. And not to mention the 60 or so wiring connections, and labeling them(or memorizing) where they go.

It will be easier out the bottom, and that is how tranny places do it, I was just wondering if there was naything I forgot. Looks like I officially start tomorrow, I'll get pics. And I need to figure out how to get it 4 ft in the air 8)

I really didn't think it was all that necessary to label things. The harness can really go in a few different way, and knowing where just a few plugs go on different parts of the harness helps. I had trouble locating a few plugs, but other than that, it wasn't bad at all.

I didn't realize that in order to drop the cradle I need to pull my rear header. This fucking sucks. Since it runs right under the frame, it has to come out. And while it is not too bad, it takes some weird twisting and a little bit of force to get it out. It gets caught on the tranny. I'll have pics up by tonight, with the headers.