2.8 engine rapping sound

88Intl

My 2.8 has started making a loud metallic rapping sound. Comes and goes, not sure what the pattern is. Wife drove it home last night, when I heard it I was convinced it was an internal engine problem. Using a broomstick as a stethoscope today, it seems loudest on the fuel injector rails, hopefully it is just the injectors. Any other good way to diagnose this? Are noisy injectors a sign of impending failure? Anything that can be added to the fuel to clean / lubricate injectors? I am adding a bottle of Red Line fuel system cleaner to the tank.

88snow.jpg

• 1 month later...
It gets much worse as it warms up. Not sure if the oil pressure is OK, get the OIL warning indicator briefly if quickly stopping and turning.

Hi 88Intl

Did you ever resolve this ?? I'm curious

It gets much worse as it warms up. Not sure if the oil pressure is OK, get the OIL warning indicator briefly if quickly stopping and turning.

Hi 88Intl

Did you ever resolve this ?? I'm curious

Problem was low oil level. Dipstick doesn't read correctly, the oil is kind of smeared way up past the full line, so although the dipstick read OK it was low on oil. Changed the oil and added CD-2 Oil Detergent, ran a little while and changed oil again to flush out. Seems OK now.