No Plug Spark

Redfox340

Ok, I'm stumped on an on-going question from my website... read these clips and put together what you can and let me know if I'm missing something out of the equation:

"Car doesn't run at all... and had my car tested for spark and there is none, i changed the module, the coils, plugs, and wires I have good pressure from my fuel pump... and my timing belt is intact... now what?"

He's asking me now whether is could be the crank sensor or the ECM... I'm at an end with this problem and I'm out of ideas to even speculate. Thanks for the help!

- RedFox340

I've had my crankshaft sensor replaced twice. Three years apart. I'm hoping the first time was an improper install. You're supposed to coat it with oil before puting the new one back in.

When it went while I was going 60 mph it felt like a magor engine failure. Huge clunks and jerks....like the engine siezed. Then it turned out to just be the sensor again.

• 1 month later...

Oh wait... it gets better: "... I ask that the car gods of the W-Body please come down and help this poor car. It's not like he wants it in this state..." ARRRGH! :verymad: I'm stumped again and I can't believe this car won't run right with all the parts he's replaced... check this:

Alright its me, _____ (to disclaim real identity) with the 96 Lumina 3.4L that wouldn't start but we got it started and it won't stay on if i am drivin shortly it cuts off and i have to restart it and sometimes when i throw it in reverse it cuts off but when i am drivin the rpm dial is goin crazy and then it cuts off and sometimes take a minute to start back up now i have new spark plugs, wires, coils, module, new crank sensor, fuel pump regulator, any advice and another thing if it is the ECM computer can i buy a used one with the same part number and reprogram it to my car?

What the hell? I've never had this big a deal trying to get a DOHC fired up and running... anyone got a idea besides the ECM? Or is it beyond all of our great knowledge? Thanks all, you rock!

- RedFox340

It could be the PCM.

Also have him spray carb cleaner around the intake gasket and see if that has any effect on RPM's.

I had crazy RPM's and stalling when the lower intake gasket was bad.

I don't know.....think I'd have taken it to a shop before I'd have replaced near on every ignition related item. I've had my Regal almost 6 years and this is my engine/tranny maint. list: 3.1 MPFI

Crankshaft sensor twice

Alt

Water pump.................was leaking a little onto belt.

Starter and soleniod.... Only soleniod was bad but guy

said it was cheaper to replace both.

Wires & plugs

Tranny filter & fluid

I'm guestamating about 155k for milage. The Odometer died shortly after I got the car. It was 85k then.

yeah PCM or major vacuum leak that could come from a bad intake gasket. Or....this happened to me. My crank sensor was not bad, the wire was gettin pinched and was shorting out, causing the problems he described. Tell him to check and make sure the crank sensor wire is not rubbed bare or shorting out.

Robby