easy cheap performance

boechler14

irecently noticed and add for hypertech chips and kinda got interested in doing somehin like that to my car except the price was $240 for i think 15 hp so it didn't seem worth it is there any other kind of easy and reasonably cheap mod that i can do to my car to get some more power out of it? with out damaging my engine or killin my gas mileage? i have a 90 grand prix with a 3.1 and 200 000 km on it

I know some members witll disagree with me, but I still think my Cutlass has more power after I added a warm air cone intake to my car. Maybe the stick makes up for the lack of lower end, but there's that anyways. Depending on your location and emmisions checks you could remove the cat and install a test pipe, that will free up some, quite a bit if it's becoming plugged. You could install an adjustable modulator in the trans, that'll give you a firmer shift. There are the underdrive pulleys, I've no experience with them myself but people seem to like them.

ic well that kinda blows then what would be the best all around mod to do smething thats easy and makes a noticable difference without emptying my bank account

sounds like those things mite be kind of in my ability i've already removed the cat and put in a straight pipe in its place and noticed somewhat of a difference..i have absolutly no idea about performance and how to do anything along those lines so is there any way i can find out everything id need to know about those kind of things?

ic well that kinda blows then what would be the best all around mod to do smething thats easy and makes a noticable difference without emptying my bank account

there's nothing that will fit those requirements.

w-bodies have no aftermarket, which means w-bodies have no cheap speed parts.

if you want cheap speed, buy another car, such as a Mustang or Camaro/Firebird.

Here's a free mod. Pull the snorkel off the front of your airbox. If you like the sound and think you gain any performance, then install a warm air intake. The snorkel trick is an easy way to try before you buy.

a lot of people have said that it kills low end torque though.. if I hadn't completely mutilated mine trying to pull it out in the first place, I'd put it back on to test it, but the results are fairly unanimous.

well you could always get a chip for it, i'm told they make a prety nice difference, they aren't the cheepest but i believe ben (vegeta) makes his own that work quite well and are dyno proven to be better then hypertech, i believe they go for around $120ish

Unless you put some form of forced induction, or a HELL of alot of real engine work (not just bolt ons) you aren't gonna get much faster than high 16s in the 1/4 mile. If you want to get in the 15s or lower an engine swap is the only way...

$45 K&N dropin filter keep it stock that many miles on the car its not worth dumping load of money on to gain at most a half second for cheep mods when you probably will be running umm maybe mid high 16s or low 17s

yeah http://www.fastfwdperformance.com they have some stuff for w-bodies. i beleive it is vegeta who makes some things for them? or all of them? not sure but anyways you can upgrade the dogbone (engine mount) which reduces engine rock and reduces lost power and torque to the transaxle. they also have an underdrive pulley, and i dont know if they still have the performance chip that V made.

The fastest naturally aspired 3.1 that I know of is a Cavalier Z24 which runs something like 14.7 1/4mile. LOTS of work done to that engine! That's about 1.5 seconds quicker than a stock Z24. Owner's name is Franz, he's over at 60degreeV6.com

But, add the weight of a w-body and add an automatic tranny that would probably drop you down to the high 15s/low 16s.

• 2 weeks later...

My car so far is nothing but cheap mods. I dunno if I should be proud of that. :? When I pulled out the "snorkel" from my airbox I notice two things. It sounds better and my hwy mpg was better. Didn't really notice anything with the K&N but that was expected. Anyways, it'll last me forever. One mod that surprised me the most was my "engine grounding kit". You can probably make one for $30+ depending on how nice you want to make them. My next mod will be to remove the "U-Bend" on my exhaust. Dunno if I'll be able to feel the difference but someone told me my fuel economy will be better. :D Oh yeah! Maybe make a "cold air induction" too. :wink:

P.S. Hey C-Bad :cheers:

wait, I'll answer that one!

You park anywhere and hope IT doesn't fuck YOU over and decided to get so mad it literally burst into flames!

Shut up and go change your alternator! :lol: