New TPG needs a turbo...

perfecseal

Just Got mY frist and hopefull not last tpg..Its a 1990 2 door red.. 6oo.00$$ us... Only one problome the turbo leaks oil.. Since I plan on upgrading everthing I can I figure why not start with the turbo... I know the stock turbo is a t25 and I have one in the shop but as I seid I want to upgrade... Now hears my problome Im not to fluent in turbo so I dont even know what to look for.....HELP ... This car will not be a dail driver but prolly every weekand so drivability is alittle consern...

The ebay turbos you have shown are all going to need major modification to the TGP crossover, flange, and downpipe for them to work. I am not fluent in the A/R world of turbos...but Curtis or Jeff M may chime in to lead you in the right direction... 8)

I'm in the process of installing the first one the .42/.48 T3. I think it's going to be better flowing exhuast but not as good on the intake side.

it's probably going to choke me out at the top.

marcus

well I cannt afford 1000.oo for a turbo that would compleatly kill my intire budget... I am lookin to spend 300 or under.. I know thats asking alot but thats all i can run without cuting out other things...I have emailed jeff M from his page hopin he can tell me what the posiblitys are ... hell maybe i should just rebiuld the stock turbo... Where do i find a good rebuild kit...

I think GM or McLaren or ASC or whoever went a little overboard on trying to eliminate turbo lag. Its pretty bad when a 2.2L has a turbo that much bigger than a 3.1L.

Shawn

I bet they were thinking along the lines of avoiding replacing 3000 tranny's over the course of 3 years. I think that our turbos provided enough boost to make most buyers in 1989-90 happy..

T3 compressor wheels and T28 turbine wheels will work in the TGP Turbo, but only makes the exhaust backpressure problem worse!!! Not worth doing! I have not had a chance to return your email (perfecseal :? ) but it should have been said on here to first check it's actually leaking oil! If you know for sure then that is fine, skip the rest here, but I suggest you consider the inside of the intake lines/intercooler/TB etc with over 30k mile or more will have a lot of oil mist coating from the crankcase fumes being routed into the intake lines and all, not a problem with the turbo. Next is the common to fail/collapse internally turbo oil drain line, evident by smoke out the back when engine is warm and idling or at other times if drain line is worse.

Jeff M

T3 compressor wheels and T28 turbine wheels will work in the TGP Turbo, but only makes the exhaust backpressure problem worse!!! Not worth doing!

but how would a larger turbine make the backpressure problem worse?

Why would you upgrade the compressor wheel and not the turbine wheel, that since backpressure is already known to be a problem? Better to leave that sentance I wrote together so it makes more sense (compressor upgrade AND turbine upgrade) :lol: And there is nothing better "yet" available for the turbine side in a pure stock setup, and to make that clear, working with the stock turbo housing etc and bolting back in cleanly 8)

Jeff M

i am talking about upgrading both sides. i was under the impression that the GT28RS has a bigger turbine; .68 vs. .86 A/R, all in a turbine housing that bolts directly to the TGP crossover pipe? i am totally confused :?: and concerning the T3...is the .48 A/R T3 turbine smaller than the stock TGP turbo's .68 A/R?

Well, my reply was in reference to those looking to upgrade their TGP turbo internally, that’s why I said “stock turbo housing†and putting the T3/T28 wheels in a TGP Turbo, that should clear things up there. Also this was the topic with perfecseal and Curtis, then keeping around $300, which might be tough for a rebuild and new wheels, better to just to rebuild though still waiting on reply to my asking about his “oil leaking� As for other outright turbos in place of the TGP turbo, much bigger topic, which I think has been discussed before regarding pure upgrades, or a new topic can be started :) but I am still waiting for final outcome on my work so no input from me yet, and still waiting to hear :!: if anyone even took the time to measure the backpressure of their TGP turbo, then after any upgrades including the Idaho Turbo :lol: .

Jeff M

Ok the Update ... I went to get the car tonight and It still hasent had all the stuff pulled outa the way... Umm as for the oil leak Im just going on what he told me .... The person I am buing the car from is a local ase cert mechanic ... witch can mean alot of things But from what he says theres an oil leak on the turbo...OOOhhhhhHHH and UPDATE I know own Two grand prixs ... He is throwing in the second one fer 100 bucks...Its not a turbo just a 91 3.4 needs rims and tires and a altanator...

Well, my reply was in reference to those looking to upgrade their TGP turbo internally, that’s why I said “stock turbo housing†and putting the T3/T28 wheels in a TGP Turbo, that should clear things up there.

Jeff M

i was not aware people upgraded the wheels but kept the stock housings :shock: i see what you mean now, that seems really pointless (in the case of the stock TGP turbo of course).

It does seems pointless after I made the point :lol: But it took tests with just such a setup to know for sure and to be able to make this point/less :wink: . Now I know the baselines to work from, and to see the gains as work progresses. It still may be doable, that is the next efforts I have been working on for nearly 8 months now :roll: , but I won't give up! My plan is to find a way to deal with the turbine side on a stock turbo, that way those just chip'd can get some gains (tests will show how much, should be pretty good actually) without an entire turbo/cost upgrade (maybe injectors etc too). Then test this turbine side with the T3 wheel, of which I may have a line on a larger wheel than the Super 60 most look at. I may not post a lot here, but this little sample is only part of a lot of work I am doing here that regularly sucks up an 18-20 hour day fast! I am VERY thankfull there are so many others avid at answering questions here, years ago there were only a few of us, now us old guys can take a break :?: yea right, back to the garage for me installing WB-o2 Display, Dual Temp Gauge (Intercooler in/out), Dual Boost/Fuel Pressure Gauge and leave room for a Dual Boost Gauge-Intercooler in/out, so much for the speedometer (TSTE, no HUD yet) seeya :)

Jeff M

How about a 1.5 A/R Turbine housing! :lol: Yea..but I don't think they exist yet. The only way I see the turbine side flowing alot of exhaust is by removing some turbine blades and oversizing the wastegate hole and flap...even a external WG. Theres enough compressor sides to go around!

That little t3 is brob worse than the TGP t25. The .60/.63 T3 would be a better turbo. The TGP turbo may be smaller, but its the little turbo that could. If you ever taken a TGP turbo apart and a old T3..you'll know that the TGP turbo has some better desighed wheels. Even the cast of the housings are better on the TGP. But latter T3s from GNs are of better desighn. I would look for those as posible "poormans" upgrades. The GT28Rxx.x is still a dam good turbo. I think it should get us into the 12 sec territory :shock: .

I think the idea of a small turbo is that the company wants a "Bigger engine" feel than a "turbo engine" feel.

As far as other upgrades go..im going to get my manafolds flowbenched and intake runners benched.. Then do a port and cut and weld job..flow again basised on head flow numbers and cam. Crazy eh 8) . I think our 3.1s are desinghend to flow 150 CFM from intake hose to exhaust tip like the Ford turbos :!: . :?

All sounds good TurboGTU. Calls were made to France (with a translator), Mexico, Japan and Garrett USA to research the first 5 months on mainly the turbine side but also the turbo complete, looking for molds and such. There was a 1.05 A/R Turbine for the T25, in a 3L diesel, still tracking that one down but its not an American car application so been work finding it.

I found something interesting at the ATP web site, did some reading and remember guys talking headers a while back on out message boards (yea I am off topic, and should also shut up and get back to the garage project!), here is what they said about losing spool-up from a header added as an upgrade "kit" (reducing the exhaust gas velocity to the turbo):

Quote from ATP: "The GT3037S - This "benchmark" turbo, used by the popular Japanese kitmaker, was the first to find its way into our prototype kit. We were very impressed with the power, but was not impressed with the way the "500 HP" turbo spooled up on the EVO8 engine. We quickly pulled up dyno charts of the same turbo installed on the EVO8 engine via other popular kits utilizing tubular manifolds and found that those setups spooled up yet another 300-400 rpm later. We deemed this combination unacceptable for the average EVO driver."

Alright, I am done.

Jeff M