Brakes on the cutlass

FreakingGomer

I have a '93 Cutlass Coupe, and I figure that its about time for me to put rear pads on it, I used the search thing a couple different times and never really saw a step by step for doing the rear brakes, so if anyone knows of such a thread and can link me to it, I would be ever appreciative.

Also, what kind of pads have you guys had good luck with? I had les schwab do the front brakes and they are terrible, in my opinion, supposed to be low dust pads, yet every couple weeks I end up with my wheels black with dust, and the car has mad brake fade. So I was wanting to know a good brand of pads for the rear and then the future, I am not concerned with having low dust pads, I just want a decent pad that will last for a while and not give me headaches.

i've always had decent luck with raybestoas pads and rotors.

as for a how to

remove wheel

18mm wrench to get calliper bolts off

check and replace rotors as necessary

use actuater tool to turn piston back

install new pads

reinstall calliper

i've always had decent luck with raybestoas pads and rotors.

My Raybesto Pg Plus pads have been great so far. Stop on a dime and are very smooth. I still have some squeking sometimes though.

My Raybesto Pg Plus pads have been great so far. Stop on a dime and are very smooth. I still have some squeking sometimes though.

You will always have some squeaking with high quality brakes, especially on a dry, hot summer day.

or a c-clamp

not on '93 rear calipers

Chris is right, use that piece of shit box tool that goes on a ratchet

or a c-clamp

not on '93 rear calipers

Well see how much I know then. :lol: :oops:

or a c-clamp

not on '93 rear calipers

Well see how much I know then. :lol: :oops:

that's all right. there's a lot of shit that i don't know anything about.

actually, my '93 CS dealer service manual says to use two channel locks to compress the caliper itself.....maybe i'll scan the page if anyone wants

i tried a c-clamp on mine because that box tool is a piece of shit bastard motherfucker but the caliper didn't budge with a c-clamp

if your ina bind and don't have the tool you can use needle nosed pliars...it does take some time though! Make sure you pump your ebrake a few times to adjust the brakes when thee done. You should do that once a week anyways to help prevent them from freezing up.

You will always have some squeaking with high quality brakes, especially on a dry, hot summer day.

That sounds like Arizona for ya :lol:

i just did these on my moms 93 cutlass i will never do them agin there a pain it the ass just because of the tool that compress them i will pay some one next time and c-clamps don't work

i just did these on my moms 93 cutlass i will never do them agin there a pain it the ass just because of the tool that compress them i will pay some one next time and c-clamps don't work

yes, it is a pain. my slider boots are leaking grease too, and i really don't feel like another rear brake job :(

this is a tough call for me, bite the bullet and do the rears, they do not need it yet, but they probably will in the next couple months (damn driving almost a thousand miles a week) but I am trying to sell the car also, hmmmm I think I am going to hold off until next weekend at least, got ambitious and changed my oil this weekend, but in 50 degree temps its not as fun as i remember to work on a car (am I getting lazy or what)

It's not that bad at all if you use one of those brake caliper tools that turns and pushes at the same time.

I bought the kit from the local Harbor Freight for something like $20 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40732

I think im going to order that tool. It looks like it would make things alot easier :)