Police Package Suspension on a 1998 Lumina - HELP!

Dr.Wasniahc

I am supposed to upgrade the Suspension on a 1998 Lumina even though I know next to nothing about Luminas! The only reason why I am stuck with the job is because everyone else around here (Stuttgart, Germany, Western Europe) knows even less about them.

It's a 1998 3.8 L with the SEO 9C6 Taxi Cab Package, a former US Army Military Police squad car. It is equipped with the Firm Ride and Handling Suspension (RPO F41). Problem is: It handles like a boat!

Can anybody tell me how the F41 rates against the FE3 Suspension? How does the F41 Package perform compared to any aftermarket components? Or am I quite simply looking at worn out components?

GM Europe is not able to help - they can't even determine which parts go into the different suspension systems. The only other Luminas around are ALL former MP or Airforce SP Vehicles - they all come with the F41, so I have no way of comparing the F41s to other system's handling characteristics.

All I want is a real stiff suspension without lowering the vehicle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You! Dr.W

FE3 and F41 is the same thing.

F41 = Chevy.

FE3 = Buick Olds Pontiac.

This car probably has the best suspension you can get from GM.

If you want a real stiff suspension, look into springs from Eibach or Suspensin Techniques. Eibach is progressive, ST springs are not. ST springs are cheaper. They will lower the car, but not much. There really isn't any other option that doesn't lower the car.

Plus sizing the wheels will help considerably as well.

My opinion is... more than likely you are looking at worn out struts and probably tires with soft sidewalls.

Struts for factory suspension... KYB GR-2... AWESOME

Tires: Yokohama, Michelin (not Symetry... good tire in snow, but SOFT sidewalls), perelli, or Kumho

just IMO...

Mike

FE3 and F41 is the same thing.

F41 = Chevy.

FE3 = Buick Olds Pontiac.

This car probably has the best suspension you can get from GM.

Believe it or not, that´s a lot more than GM Europe was able to tell me...

Struts for factory suspension... KYB GR-2...

look into springs from Eibach or Suspension Techniques.

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! Thanks a lot - got any more suggestions?

I cannot change tires or wheels or ride height (well, a little will be ok) - the owner wants too keep the "stock" look...

Well, you guys certainly helped me out a lot already, so thank you very much!

Dr.W

You can change tires without changing the look of the vehicle... I was talking about factory size tires, not low-profile or anything. The kind of tire used, even in the same size makes a WORLD of difference in handling.

Mike

Struts for factory suspension... KYB GR-2...

look into springs from Eibach or Suspension Techniques.

This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! Thanks a lot - got any more suggestions?

I can back him up with the GR-2's. They improved the handling of my car ten fold. My car had FE1 from the factory, so after putting the KYB's on I experienced a MUCH harsher ride. That sounds what you're looking for so I'd recommend them.

Definitely do the springs. They made an incredible difference on my car, much more than just struts. They'll lower the car 1.25", but these cars are very high riding anyway. Being in Germany, nobody will notice the difference because German cars ride so low, a lowered Lumina will still ride higher than most Mercedes and BMW stock suspensions. Also consider a 95 Monte Z34 rear sway bar. It's the same size as the Addco, but will be a better fit since it's OEM. For some reason, they went to a slightly smaller bar 2nd half of 96.

Although your customer doesn't want to change the tires and wheels, I think he will get much better handling out of 245/50ZR16 or 235/55ZR16 tires which will look close to stock and can fit on the stock wheels if they're the 16x6.5" wheels.

Addco 22mm rear sway bar & a 34mm front sway bar from a DOHC W-body will stiffen it up. and i agree, KYBs are awesome; i have them on both of my cars.

Oh yeah, don't worry about the 34mm sway bar. I'm pretty sure police suspensions got them standard.

and can fit on the stock wheels if they're the 16x6.5" wheels.

Are you saying 16x6.5" wheels were standard on civilian Luminas?

This one rolls on 15x6" steel wheels with 215/70R15 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires on them. If I read my RPO Codes right, then those narrow steel wheels are stock (PG1), and the original tires should be 205/7R15... (QIN). Weird.

Thank you, Dr.W

i hear only good things from Eibach springs

KYB-GR2 struts i recomend along with the mounts and boots.

Tires all season Brigstone Potenza all the way! something like Potenza G009 works well and cheep!

You might wanna get rid of thos 15s and get atleast stock 16x6.5 or if you have money to burn some nice 18s

your probably gonna want to upgrade the front rotors. try getting some sloted or drilled rotors. oem pads will be fine. There is a big break conversion avalible i think 14 or 15inch rotors. try the search function here.

you can get a STB bar to connect the strut towers under the hood to help with cornering. a Lumina is no econo box its a mid/fullsize sedan so dont expect to be able to corner like an porche 911

and can fit on the stock wheels if they're the 16x6.5" wheels.

Are you saying 16x6.5" wheels were standard on civilian Luminas?

This one rolls on 15x6" steel wheels with 215/70R15 Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires on them. If I read my RPO Codes right, then those narrow steel wheels are stock (PG1), and the original tires should be 205/7R15... (QIN). Weird.

Thank you, Dr.W

16x6.5 were standard on upperlevel civilian Luminas I think (LS, Z34). For some reason I was thinking a police package Lumina would have 16" steel. 15x6" steel, OUCH! You're looking at a 6" sidewall, I have trouble believing 15" tires that fit on a 6" wide wheel of ANY brand is going to handle very well. Since he wants it to look stock, it might be possible that GM offers a 16" steel wheel that will fit and look the same (from a late model Impala perhaps). If that's the case, a 245/50ZR16 tire will improve handling considerably.