the 16 hour drive, and what i found out about my car

89BuickRegalGS

The car ran great both ways!

But...

i am leaking coolant, ATF, and power stearing.

I was leaking break fluid also, but my dad made me get that fixed since it could be dangerous

Why is my car a rolling EPA problem!?!?

These cars leak everywhere. Thats why GM went to a rubber design with the seals on newer cars.

Mine is leaking all the same places, and the trans is leaking from the sidecover, which requires you to take it out to fix.

GM engineers are overpaid and still don't have a clue.

It happens to us all. My car is about that age when deterioration is catching up on the original components. I've got radiator perforation allowing a small amount of coolant out as steam. Not very much, but enough that I'll be hoping it doesn't get worse before spring. I'm probably going to take the route of a new rad rather than pissing around with a used one. Used is cheap, but I'm beggin' for a problem that way.

Yup i've got a leak with the coolant too. Cant find it yet, but always smells like coolant when you drive it and goes through like a quart a week. Might be near the connection of the heater core cause I also dont have any heat. Previous owner must have used some sort leak sealer cause its got all this gunk inside. Could this have clogged my heater core = no heat inside? Just wondering why it dosent work.

Could be, only a check of the hose to the firewall would tell...however, it may be a blockage deeper in the heater core itself. Whomever invented the stop-leak sealer for leaking coolant systems had the right idea, but the wrong way to do it. I hate that crap.

Checking for the following could help you: steam of course for the general region of the leak, but when it's warm outside, it's hard to spot; if you use green coolant, scaling white and chalky residue, sometimes discolored blue/green tint can help you locate a the leak; if you use orange long-last coolant, scaling white and chalky residue will be tinted red/pink. I have the latter along the passenger side coils of my radiator, so I'm pretty sure there's a hole in there somewhere.

Good luck.

check your heater hose! this happened 2 me about several days ago, xcept mine was more severe...it burst and literally leaked coolant by the gallon! :shock:

turns out the heater hose was the prob so i fixed it which by the way was a f*CKIN PAIN IN THE ASS!

I drove my TGP from Colorado Springs to West Palm Beach Florida (2008 miles door to door) over Christmas and didn't so much as have a hick-up from the car. I actually loved the performance of MY performance chip at sea-level. Could roast the tires 1st through 3rd easy!!

Leaks come from old worn out O-rings and gaskets my friend. Rubber dries up and cracks with age. It may be time to begin replacing the expendable parts. It sucks to replace everything, but you will feel good to pull in your driveway and not see your car marking it's territory everywhere!!

The car ran great both ways!

But...

i am leaking coolant, ATF, and power stearing.

I was leaking break fluid also, but my dad made me get that fixed since it could be dangerous

Why is my car a rolling EPA problem!?!?

Well, it is, after all, a 14yr old car!

Mine is leaking ATF too. Damn side pan gasket. I need to tighten the bolts on it every couple months or so for some reason.

I have had PS and coolant leaks in the past, the PS was an easy fix - replace the pump. The coolant was a little bit of a chore - replaced head gaskets. Haven't had brake fluid leaks yet.

it just sucks as a college student not being able to afford getting gaskets replaced and a power stearng pump (that ai think is going bad as it is)

I think my power stearing pumps going to go in a bad way. it appears the pully on is has a slight wobble, and occasionally, it feels like ther is a tight spot in the stearing for a hot second. Like, as i am spinning the stearing wheel, there is a tiny spot occasion that reaquires a touch more effort, and its not always in the same spot.

gaskets sets are cheap and basically a 1 time fix. I got the intire 3.1L kit for $30. Tranny leaks are easy fixes also and cheap. 9 times out of 10 if you got a ATF leaks its from the pan gasket $11.49 (change filter also $10.99), or the lines going to and from the radiator/cooler. Mine are leaking from some jackass overtightening the hose clamp. No matter how tight you tighten a hose clamp with out a flared end its gonna leak (jackass didn't know that or didn't car). The fix is to flare it or put rtv on the actual metal tube then double clamp it. My power steering hoses were leaking not easy to replace with out a lift but the hoses were $20.99 ea. These cars have the cheapest priced parts out of almost any GM except beretta/corsica.

Yeah, that's why it pays to learn how to do this stuff yourself.

Auto repairs costs are 80-90% labor.

Not only labor, but most shops depend on parts markup for revenue. Some automotive shop management software has a gross profit calculator built in, so if labor hours are reduced on an estimate, the parts markup can be set to automatically increase to maintain the gross profit. Its possible a busy shop owner could use this feature, when writing up estimates, to say "sorry were busy can't get to it" for low-profit jobs and get the high-profit jobs in right away.

parts mark up i agree 100%! Carmax game me a quote of $386 to put on pads and rotors. I replaced them myself with OEM rotors and pads for $$136!!! I LMFAO in there face and said give me my keys. I have done well over 500 brake jobs but since my car was under warranty and I new that the calipers were bad I would let them do it and not cost me anything. The guy of course is gonna ask me how I know they are bad did I get an ASE or equivalent to check it out? I was like WTF! I had already replaced the rotors and pads 1 1/2 months ago and there is nothing left that will possibly do that but caliper. Of course he said the mechanic checked it out and they were fine BS! I am just gonna chalk it up as a loss and replace the calipers myself %#$@!$#&! Its on a 99 Intrepid with 30K. :evil:

My was leaking a little coolant and when my mechanic was changing my transmission he shoed me that its leaking from a head gasket. It not leaking much but it was smoking a little bit, he put some heavy duty sealer on it (told me that he used it couple times and cars ran with them for over 2 years with it) and its not leaking anymore.

So your talking a 14 year old car. In say 1978 if there were any 1964 cars left on the road they'd already be on a 3rd set of gaskets since the last rebuild. Hope you get my point. Gaskets and seals always leak with age and seals have always been rubber except way back when they were leather.

These cars leak everywhere. Thats why GM went to a rubber design with the seals on newer cars.

Mine is leaking all the same places, and the trans is leaking from the sidecover, which requires you to take it out to fix.

GM engineers are overpaid and still don't have a clue.

I bet they are geniouses, its the bean counters that have a say over all that. manufacturing cost vs. warrenty replacement cost, thats what its all about.