Shit....I went and done it now....Brakes

test4echo

92 Z34

Hi guys,

Been a while since I've any trouble with my lummi after the overhaul I did.

ALL to the engine....

Anyway, 2 days ago my brakes on the rear driver side went.

Instead of giving me a few days of squeal, the bitch was gouging my rotor right away.

So, I got it her up, took both calipers off (not completely), pads, no trouble.

However getting those rotors off (motherf**ckers) I could NOT DO.

I tried everthing except torch it.

Is this a common thing? Is there any secret to getting off a seizer rotor besides torching it?

I don't have a torch, and if I have to do that, it kinda negates the money saving I was hoping for.

Are there Pullers specially for rotors you can rent cheap?

Or did I just not bang away enough....lol?

I was a bit worried about smacken em to hard.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Test,

Only thing I usually do is PB Blaster where it's stuck and let it sit for a day or so (reapplying 2-3 times in the middle) and tap on it with a hammer and try to pull it off the next day. Specifically DO NOT hit it REALLY hard with a small sledge or anything, as it has the potential to screw up the bearings if hit too hard at that angle. You can actually hit it normally hard with a regular (12-16oz) hammer, although I usually use a rubber mallet, but since you are scrapping the rotor, the sharp vibrations of a real hammer may or may not work better.

I think its common for rear rotors to do this, they are the ones with the frozen calipers 95 of the time. I never worried about the bearings...a few hard hits with a decent sized hammer and she'll break loose.

i know my front rotors did this. the bolt was so coroded and such, we tried everything, but we didnt have some kind of air wrench, so we took it in and they used an air wrench on it.

So basically I should hit thing harder.

Thats pisses me off.

To be so close, have everything ready, have new brakes, and fail cause I wimped out hitting the bitch with a big hammer.

Oh well, theres always tomorrow.

Here I come you bastard....sledge hammer and all.......

Your comming off.

Thanks guys.

Test,

WD-40 or penetrating oil... hose the rotor down with that shit, then let it sit for a while (up to a day) and spray it again... wait another hour or so and try smackin it with the hammer again... Yeah use anti-seize the next time.

Yes I would have used anti-seize, but this the first time I've had to deal with the rear brakes.

You bet I'll use A-S when I get the bastards off.

What an aweful mess they left me........

I'm gonna dump the asbestos remains on thier front lawn.

Test,

Well, had her up again today.

Got those bastard Rotors off!

All i needed was a bigger hammer.

Unfortunantly, I didn't take the advice and get a tool for the Caliper Piston. So guess what happened?

Son of a beeotch would not go in for me.

I turned it this way then that way, all the while the c-clamp keeps falling off and the screw driver makes mince meat of the piston boot.

Why oh why didn't i just but the fucking tool....

Only cost 20 bucks, now I have to either find a way to replace the boot, or say screw it and leave it.

I did buy the tool, so tommorow I'll be out early in the rain, doing this all over again.

Hopefully, it works out.

test,

That sucks that you couldent get the caliper piston down. Me and my dad used a little block of wood and a c clamp. I will also be purchasing that tool though soon. Well good luck with the rest of the job.

Well, had her up again today.

Got those bastard Rotors off!

All i needed was a bigger hammer.

Unfortunantly, I didn't take the advice and get a tool for the Caliper Piston. So guess what happened?

Son of a beeotch would not go in for me.

I turned it this way then that way, all the while the c-clamp keeps falling off and the screw driver makes mince meat of the piston boot.

Why oh why didn't i just but the fucking tool....

Only cost 20 bucks, now I have to either find a way to replace the boot, or say screw it and leave it.

I did buy the tool, so tommorow I'll be out early in the rain, doing this all over again.

Hopefully, it works out.

test,

thats a bummer man! Did you try needle nose pliers to twist the piston? Thats what I use when I dont have that tool handy

Part of the problem is that I was by myself, 100KM away from home and I did NOT want to get stuck at my school where I work.

I was using our High Schools garage which has a nice lift .

But, I only had 2 and half hours to complete both sides before they would have kicked me out.

So i was kinda under the gun, getting really frustrated the whole time.

My anxiety wasn't helping matters... :x

Oh well, at least it ain'y raining out yet.

Time to go outside.

Later,

Test,

Ok, got the bitch up again, got the rotors off, used my new tool (peice of shit, waste of 20 bucks) to get the piton back in.

All was going great.

Until, I found out I think they game me the wrong pads or I'm just an idiot when it comes to rear brakes (this could be).

Here are the pads they gave me.

newpad.jpg

They fit fine in the caliper.

But here comes the problem.

this a pic of the clearance between the rear pad and the rotor, you can see by the PIC here, that the piston is fully seated.

rearcal.jpg

This pic is of front pad, you can see THERE is NO clearance. I have the old pad in, and it barely fits, a new pad definetly would not fit.

rearcalfront.jpg

As far as I know you cannot adjust the caliper housing itself, because it cast.

Can any one tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Even with the caliper piston fully seated, it seem like there is just no room for a new outside front pad.

The dimensions of the caliper housing itself seems to small.

Help!!

Test,

If the piston is fully seated or in all the way and its impossible to get the caliper over the rotor(with the new pads) then there is a chance they messed up when boxing the product. Check everything over one more time and make sure the piston wont go in anymore...take a good look at the new vs. old pads(any difference) and then lastly call the store you bought them from. I'm not an expert on brakes, but I have been through the shitty GM brake system drama a handful of times! goodluck

After looking at those pics again,

Do I have to use a C-Clamp to compress those Rubber Bushings(where the mounting bolts go in) so my new front pads fit on?

I'll kill myself if thats what I forgot to do......

Test,

Be prepared to kill yourself.

Thats what you forgot to do. Reset the sildes all the way into the caliper and it should fit fine.

I just did my rear brakes too... With a C clamp, Screw driver, and the tool from autozone. Simple as shit... One caliper was seized, but yeah, that was the only problem I had. And remans are cheep.

I just layed a little block of wood over the pistons and put the c clamp on the middle and tightened. Worked like a charm
That works fine on the front calipers, but these guys are talking about the rear calipers. On the rears you not only have to apply pressure to the piston, but you have to rotate it as well so you can "screw" it back down.

Ok, I am the next poster boy for retards.

I swear, I'm such an idiot.

But, now I know hoe to change the rear brakes and rotors in under 45 minutes.

The problem I had (or mental slip) was that I forgot about the Bolt sleeves.

I got the Piston just fine.

But I forgot to re-seat the Bolt sleeves.

I didn't even need a c-clamp for that.

Just pushed them both back with my thumb.

rearcal.jpg

Easy as pie.

At least, now it is.

Thanks for all your help fellas.

I think I qualify for drugs now.

Test,

good job tech, the best way to learn is from your "mistakes", hopefully there not the type that lead to future problems. You are a duplicate of me when I first to my brakes apart for the 1st time, 2nd time, and 3rd time :lol: ...after about 6-7 brake jobs on my last 2 w-bodys I dont cringe when I pull them apart.