Premium sound speaker connections

DaveJ

My car has the "premium" radio option installed. When I removed the factory 6x9 speakers, I noticed it has a separate speaker connection for the tweeter and woofer. Since I bought the factory connector to make the installation easier, I was forced to use the tweeter connection. My question is, what do I do with the woofer connection, besides tucking it behind the carpet. I would assume this connection should have a load on it, or it could ruin the radio? I also noticed the bass output isn't as deep as the factory. I checked the wiring and it is correct. Sad part is, I am tempted to put the factory speakers back in. Am now wondering if a component set of speakers is in order for the rear deck.

try looking further down the wire and check for a factory crossover. If you have coaxial aftermarket speakers you should remove that crossover. Then connect the speakers to the wire that was going into the crossover. If the connector doesn't match up, you'll have to remove the connectors and wire them up directly. If this is not the case, you should go with the component set.

try looking further down the wire and check for a factory crossover. If you have coaxial aftermarket speakers you should remove that crossover. Then connect the speakers to the wire that was going into the crossover. If the connector doesn't match up, you'll have to remove the connectors and wire them up directly. If this is not the case, you should go with the component set.
When I removed the factory "separates" from my Regal (in the doors) the "crossover" was mounted right inside the speaker housing. I say if you can't find the crossover (it's probably mounted inline with the speaker wiring,) run new speaker wires from the Head Unit to the rear speakers...

my 2 back 6x9's had one connection to each one. When I got better 700 watt 6x9's I had to cut off the stock connector and splice a little tip of the wires off so I could hook them up to the new ones.

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned in the first post that the x-over was on the factory speaker. It is odd, I read another post on this board that mentioned loss of bass after replacing the factory 6x9s. I have another theory to throw out. When I replaced the speakers, I used a factory connector to avoid cutting wires. The car connector that I had to use, powered the tweeter side of the speaker. Could it be that the radio sends out different wattage to the tweeter? I'll dig out my service manuals tonight and see if there is any information on the outputs from the radio.

I'll post more if I resolve the issue.....

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned in the first post that the x-over was on the factory speaker. It is odd, I read another post on this board that mentioned loss of bass after replacing the factory 6x9s. I have another theory to throw out. When I replaced the speakers, I used a factory connector to avoid cutting wires. The car connector that I had to use, powered the tweeter side of the speaker. Could it be that the radio sends out different wattage to the tweeter? I'll dig out my service manuals tonight and see if there is any information on the outputs from the radio.

I'll post more if I resolve the issue.....

When my rear cones fell apart, they sounded like shit...got some aftermarket 6x9s and they sounded pretty crappy after all the proper wiring...got some new factory 6x9s and there isn't a single person I've met that hasn't asked me what size subs I've got in the trunk, and what type of speaker/amp combo I'm running. Nobody believes its stock.

EDIT: my only other stereo "mods" was getting a CD/Tape combo from an Alero- Identical to those used on the CS. and I have the premium sound as well.

YK

First i would just run new wire directly to the speakers to eliminate those issues all together, it's not too bad to do.

We just put a system in my cousins '92 regal which had a 6-spkr system. We had to get the speaker wires from the amp and run them to the deck.

Does the harness bypass the original amp?

Maybe it's the HU/speaker combo cause when I replaced my Lums original system with a DEH-2300 and Infinity 6x9's I was showing people my trunk to prove there weren't subs. :lol: :lol: They pounded!!!!!

You can still get a fair bit of bass from standard factory speakers and a good HU but no SQ. :lol: :lol:

If you really want bass though you should get a sub, you'll get better SQ and longevity from all your equipment. TRUST ME!