• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carotop

• DiscoStudd

• HokemBokem

• gpse_97

putting my sony deck into my regal sucked major ass... I had to extend the harness, rip out my glovebox to get to the damn brain box and connect it there, I looked all over the place for an antenna wire extender and couldn't find one so i bought a couple adaptors and "daisy chained" them. Also, even with the plastic dash housing sticking out an inch from the dash, I had a tough time moving the wires around behind the deck so that i could push it all the way in. I don't know what gm was thinking with those damn separate component style audio systems.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok just wondering what would be a good head unit anybodies suggestions. And does anyone know if theres a good new one with tape deck also, cuz since I listen to metal most of my music is on tapes. And the will full round subs fit under those rear enclosures? If so what size? And then for those door ones would I just power them from an amp or could I power the whole system from a pretty good amp?

If you want to go the "generic" route, get a Jensen, but don't get that JC-Shitney crap! Jensen makes CD/Cassette combo Head Units that fit in the GM "DIN-and-a-half" opening and they are fairly inexpensive. Most of all, they are better quality than Pyramid...

Most of your music is on cassettes, and you're still a teenager? :shock: :shock: :shock: Holy fuck, I didn't think the teens of today would even know what a cassette was! When I was a teen (late 80's early 90's,) I bought all my music on CD's and dubbed them to tapes to play in the car because CD headunits were ungodly expensive. Back then I bought all CD's because I figured that by the time I could afford a CD headunit, I'd be all set.

I would recommend jumping on the MP3 bandwagon (that is, if your PC has a CD burner.) I have an MP3 headunit (Pioneer DEH-P7600) and listen almost exclusively to MP3-encoded discs. You can jam close to 10 hours of music on one disc! If you have a ton of CD's (who doesn't?) it's easier to copy them onto a CD-R than to dub them onto cassettes...

Now as far as amps go, I'd personally have one to power the fronts, and one for the subs, and power the rear 6X9's off the headunit...

I would recommend jumping on the MP3 bandwagon (that is, if your PC has a CD burner.) I have an MP3 headunit (Pioneer DEH-P7600) and listen almost exclusively to MP3-encoded discs. You can jam close to 10 hours of music on one disc! If you have a ton of CD's (who doesn't?) it's easier to copy them onto a CD-R than to dub them onto cassettes...

I know wish I would have spent the extra 40-50 bucks now to get MP3. I am constantly changing cds in the middle of traffic which is a bitch. If I had MP3 I could listen to the same cd for about a week.

Alright is there a seperate program to compress into MP3s or should it be part of the burning program? Also then I might as well not get a deck with a tape player. Um I think I'm just gonna buy a bunch of CDs and burn them and return them. Also no one has answered this yet do round subs fit under those enclosures in the back?

Um I think I'm just gonna buy a bunch of CDs and burn them and return them.

Im not sure but I dont think they let you return them now bc of that reason. You might want to consider a peer to peer program.

Try going to Down In The Valley, Cheapo, or scour the pawn shops. I always find good deals on old CD's at the above mentioned stores...

As far as "ripping" a CD (converting to MP3 and saving to the hard drive) I use MusicMatch Jukebox. I also use that program to burn my MP3 discs...

No answer for you on the subs. You should make a mock-up of a sub box out of cardboard, then make the actual box using the templates you made out of cardboard as a pattern...

What artists and/or CD's are you looking for? You mentioned you're into Hair Metal, and I might have a bunch that I could copy for you (you can supply me with a spindle of CD-R's and I'll copy them for you if I have the ones you're looking for...)

how do I remove the door panels to change the speakers.
Well if you have manual windows, you need a tool to pop out the clip (the Hayne's manual says to try using a rag behind the handle.) Secondly, remove all the screws around the perimiter of the door panel. Remove the armrest and the panel that houses the power lock and window switches. Remove the trim around the door handle and lock lever (there should be one screw hiding behind a plug behind the door handle.) Carefully pry up on the bottom of the panel to pop out the trim clips. Try not to brake the panel. The clips (or I suppose you could call them plugs) are fairly difficult to remove once they've been installed. After everything is free, lift up on the panel (towards the top of the door) to remove it...

Hey disco just gimme a little list of CDs you have that go into the "Hair Metal" or 80's Hard Metal" genres. And I got a whole bucnh of blank CDs so I could do it myself
Well I'm at work now, but off the top of my head I'll drop some groups:

Mötley Crüe

Def Leppard

Poison

Guns-N-Roses

Van Halen

Cinderella

Skid Row

Tesla

Aerosmith

Warrant

Sammy Hagar

Slaughter

Damn Yankees

Whitesnake

Black Crowes

Bon Jovi

Metallica

AC/DC

Dokken

Queensryche

Faith No More

Great White

Scorpions

Megadeth

Like I said this is off the top of my head. I also have a bunch of those "Monsters Of Rock/Monster Ballad" type compilation CD's

Here's a few more:

Anthrax

Ozzy

Extreme

ZZ Top

That about covers it for Hair Metal. If any of these bands interest you, lemme know which ones and I'll tell ya which CD's of thiers I own...

Alrigh it depends on what you got but heres what I'm interested in:

Cinderella

Skid Row

Warrant

Dokken(I have 4 albums, Its my last name)

Queensryche

Great White

Well the only other ones I have of that list are tapes. I have 4 CDs of Dokken though. If you want to hear my collection as small as it is I'll tell yah.

the speakers in my '92 STE were 6 1\2!!!

I replaced them with some Pioneer 6 1\2's today.

That's wacky! I actually looked up the size for the STE's on Crutchfield.com and they are the only GP's (1st gen) that have 6 1/2's! Do your door panels have speaker pods to hold the larger speakers?

Alrigh it depends on what you got but heres what I'm interested in:

Cinderella

Skid Row

Warrant

Dokken(I have 4 albums, Its my last name)

Queensryche

Great White

Well the only other ones I have of that list are tapes. I have 4 CDs of Dokken though. If you want to hear my collection as small as it is I'll tell yah.

Okay, here goes, I'll list the group and the CD('s) of theirs I have:

Cinderella - Greatest Hits

Skid Row - Self Titled, and Slave To The Grind

Warrant - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinkin' Rich, and Cherry Pie

Dokken - The one with "Breaking The Chains" on it (don't remember the name of the CD off the top of my head - I'll get back to ya when I get home from work tonight...)

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Great White - Greatest Hits 89-92 (I had Twice Shy, but I lost it :( )

Any others you want, just ask. I have more than just Hair Metal CD's as well :D . You sure you don't want any Van Halen? I have all the 'Halen CD's (even Van Hagar :lol: ...)

Ok well I have that Dokken one anyway. What other types of music do you have? And what size subs should I put in back and what size amp and how many amps? And then for doors what size? And size also for the dash?

Ok well I have that Dokken one anyway. What other types of music do you have? And what size subs should I put in back and what size amp and how many amps? And then for doors what size? And size also for the dash?
Woah, slow down there, Chief!!! Do you want my opinion on what I think you should go with, or do you want to know how to go "by the book" and go totally bone stock?

Here's my opinion of what I think you should do:

Leave the dash speakers disconnected. Don't bother buying a new pair either. Dash speakers lick donkey balls. Door speakers are the way to go (actually mounting them in the kick panels yields the best sound reproduction, but I don't like to sacrifice leg room, so mounting them low in the doors is my choice...)

Get some 6 1/2" separates for the doors, and get a good brand! Power them off a mid-sized amp (40-90 watts per channel RMS.) Make some custom brackets to fit them in the doors behind the door panels, or make some custom speaker pods so they fit on top of the door panels (do a Google search on how to make the pods.)

Get a set of 6X9's for the rear deck. Preferably a better-known brand like JBL, Infinity, Kicker, Fosgate. Or for the very least go with Sony Explod's, Blaupunkts, Pioneers, or Kenwoods. Power the rear speakers off of your head unit.

For bass, start small. Get a Bazooka (8" or 10" to start) preferrably with the built-in amp. Add a "slave" unit later on as you build your system.

If you can't afford the good shit, hit up the pawn shops. I'd personally buy used top-of-the-line audio equipment over buying the cheap throwaway crap any day...

Like I told you before, go and window shop at Audio King--oops, I mean Ultimate Electronics to get a feel for what you're up against sound-quality wise and price wise. Schmooze with the salesman a bit and sound like you're really interested in purchasing some speakers. Make up some excuse as to why you're not going to buy anything right that second so he won't pressure you into buying. (Tell him you can't get to the bank to cash your paycheck or some bullshit :wink: ...)

Now as far as what other music I have, you're opening up a whole can of worms there. I don't have the time right now to list everything :wink: ...