• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carotop

• DiscoStudd

• HokemBokem

• gpse_97

before you do anything...do you have a nice cd player? thats usually one of the main points of the sound system.

other than that...basic set. nice speakers by a good company...theres many to name. you can so subs and amps as well but if you plan on racing, i wouldnt go all out with a box in the back. tends to get heavy...

i'm going to start doing some of this soon. once i get my new cd in about 2 weeks, i'm buying subs and an amp from this kid for 100$. then i gotta make a custom box to fit right in the back of my trunk. its fun.

Do you want real quality sound? If you do, then separates mounted in the doors are the way to go (powered by an external amp of course :wink: . ) Also get a good pair of 6X9's for the back deck.

Remember, the more you spend on a set of speakers (generally speaking) the better the quality. You also want to look at the speaker itself. Look at the size of the cones and magnets. If they're larger in size (both cones and magnets) than your stock speakers, then they're a good buy. If they're puny, no matter what brand they are (for example, $25 Pioneer 5 1/4's, which are punier than stock) don't bother wasting your money.

Separates are going to cost you more, but the sound quality can't be beat by a set of coaxials. Coaxials aren't bad, actually far from it. If you spend $75-100 on a good set of 5 1/4 coaxials for the doors, roughly the same on some 6X9's for the rear, and power them off of an aftermarket high-power head unit, you should be fine.

When you're ready to spend some bucks, step up to separates. Also wire your car for a couple of amps and a sub (if you don't like the BOOMing shit, then get a smaller sub for rear "fill.") I could go on and on and on, but if you're just starting out, start small (with a good set of coaxials and a good aftermarket deck) and work your way up (to separates, subs, and amps...)

Im stuffing Clarion Elcipses in the freont doors, (4x6) and Pionerrs in the back.. Inside little Concert Sound boxes from a Buick.. (6x9).. Should compliment my 160 dollar Sanyo CD deck nicely :)

i have noticed that aftermarket head units don't like the bridged crossovers setup that our cars stock speaker setup has ..

just in case none of you have noticed.

anyway, if your serious, and plan on keeping that olds around for a while I would highly suggest going with JL componets or as simple as Alpine, Polk, Infinity or even Pioneers. Pioneer's low end is "ok" but, seriously if your wanting better sound all around, new speakers even the cheapest of them all will sound a hell of alot better then the stock ones just because of the materials they're made of. Unless you have a 97+ newer GP with the Bose package (then I wouldn't mess with it)... but thats another story.

as far as the "door" question ... go custom :-)

Well thanks everyone!! Is there anyway to not have an aftermarket head unit cuz I'm big on stock look but I might as well change it. Also what size subs would fit under those stock speaker covers on the rear deck. And I want a really solid all around sound cuz I listen to 80's metal so I like my treble as well as my bass and I'm sorry to start this again in my life but I might have to go back to rap for driving. So I wanna do at least 8 speakers in the car: 2 or 4 tweeters, 2 subs, and 2 midis like 5x9 or 6x9

I prolly won't but you can't blast heavy metal and have it sound good
It sure does when you have amped separates in your doors!!!

Guns N Roses sounds fucking KILLER cranked.. Especially knockin on heaven's door and November Rain..
Word up, homey! So does "Crazy Train" and "Highway To Hell" (amongst others.) Anything by White and/or Rob Zombie is especially KILLER with a good setup also!

You seriously need to step up to a quality set of components (separates) powered by an amplifier (not off the speaker leads of the head unit.) You supposedly get the best sound by mounting a set of components in the kick panel, but I'd rather mount them low in the door for the legroom factor. Take a visit to Ultimate Electronics (almost typed "Audio King" :lol: ) and check out the top-end components they carry like Boston Acoustics, Alpine, JBL (John Bradshaw Layfield :lol: ,) etc. Schmooze with the salesmen a bit and make it sound like you're interested, so he lets you hear what the different models of speakers sound like. Take note of any and all model numbers of the set(s) that tickle your fancy. Get the salesman's card and tell him you'll be back in a couple of days (but not really :wink: ) Go home and look up those model numbers on eBay and you'll see that they're selling for around half of what Ultimate charges. Also when you're at UE, ask the salesman what amp he would recommend to power each set and likewise, look those models up on eBay as well...

Now when you get this far, let the rest of us know so one of us coughDiscoStuddcough can give you pointers on installing your new amp and separates...

Components hooked up to an amp wired to the rca preouts of an aftermarket head would be the best sound. However, just switching out your head unit and putting in some coaxial speakers in your stock locations is a vast improvement over stock. It depends on how much money and time you want to spend.

Also, invest in some dynamat... get those 10x10 pads that go around your speaker openings... you'll be glad you did because they really improve your speakers operation and eliminate any rattling.

You're better off keeping your stock 6X9's (unless they're blown) than buying those shitty, no-name speakers. The Sony's might be alright, but they don't show a shot of the magnet or basket, so it's hard to tell if they'd be worth it at all. I'd say no unless you've actually seen those speakers up close...

the doors take 5 1/4's.
I jammed 6 1/2's in the doors of my Regal :D . There's no way in hell you're going to be able to get 6X9's to fit in your doors. Stick with 5 1/4's, and get a good brand if you want good sound. I still say visit Ultimate Electronics to get a good feel for what you should shoot for. Buy the stuff off of eBay, though...

brian P hooked me up with his old door pannels which he modifyed to take 6 1/2 speakers. Im big on pioneer speakers, as they have never let me down. But as of right now, im broke, stuck home, and jobless. thats why ive been a postwhore allday today.

im really fond of the 6 by 9 pioneer 4 way speakers, the clarity is fricken sweet!

also for head units, ALPINE!, i love alpine for head units. Pioneer, kenwood, and clarion are awsome also. but for some reason when i tried a kenwood with the stock speakers they sounded like shit, i currently have a alpine cda-9827 which plays anything including mp3 and WMA cds, supports xm, and every kickass feature that alpine supports for the price range, 200 bucks baby!.

If your more for the visual look on your decks, pioneer owns that department. alpine ca 9831 and cda 9835 decks are kickass decks with visuals but really pricy.

The next deck i want to get for my next car or suv will be a clarion dvd 7inch display. Only once they support DVD-MP3 discs.

Im a big fan of mp3 decks because it elimates the need of a 6 disc changer, i can easely fit 6-10 cds in mp3 format in 1 disc. plus i dont have the hastle of swapping cds n such. wma discs hold 2X the ammount of music compared to mp3 disc's. WMA= Windows media audio. I use 192K and high mp3 quality, 96K wma file is = to a 192K mp3.

ehh well my final suggestion depending on budget. go to a best buy, circut city, and play with all the speakers and decks so you get an idea on how each sounds.

Head units i recomend Alpine for sound quality(Media expander is fricken sweet) for speakers, pioneer because i just favor them. subs i like Mtx because they are cheap and kick ass. and for amps, i cant make a suggestion because i know bearly anything about them.

also i like rocford fosgate products, i beleive they are the people who make punch amps and subs. they make some good shit to.

also for head units, ALPINE!, i love alpine for head units

do the alpine head units fit in the w-body's?...cause the alpine that i want for my car...supposedly (according to the crutchield catolog) is too DEEP!.. :roll:

weird but the one i have which is the alpine CDA-9827 fits fine, about 1 inch free in the back and all the wires i wedge behind the deck and upwards(there is space there because of the dash. but yes it fits!

go to alpine website and check the dimensions out for my deck and compare it to others. is the others are <1 inch deeper then yes they will fit, if not, whip out a dremmil and do some modification to the plastic crap underneath the dash for some space!!!

once again.... ALPINE ROCKS! :twisted: hehehehehehe...

anyway i wont be home for the rest of tonight, i gota watch over my best friend as hes getting shit faced! and when he gets shitfaced hes gets a little violent... fun!

haha... anyway ill take some pics of my deck out and you will see exactly where i shove the wires n stuff...etc

ill respond when i get home tonight :) later all..

Ok thanks for helpin me out with this. I actually won't be getting anything till spring maybe but just wanna see what people think so I can plan. Ok so what size subs fit under those stock covers in the back. Also what is the size of the front speakers on the dash and would it be good for quality to put larger tweeters. And then 5 1/4 in the doors right. I think I was gonna go for an alpine head unit. And can I wire everything from a seperate amp and will that effect quality

weird but the one i have which is the alpine CDA-9827 fits fine, about 1 inch free in the back and all the wires i wedge behind the deck and upwards(there is space there because of the dash. but yes it fits!

go to alpine website and check the dimensions out for my deck and compare it to others. is the others are <1 inch deeper then yes they will fit, if not, whip out a dremmil and do some modification to the plastic crap underneath the dash for some space!!!

once again.... ALPINE ROCKS! :twisted: hehehehehehe...

anyway i wont be home for the rest of tonight, i gota watch over my best friend as hes getting shit faced! and when he gets shitfaced hes gets a little violent... fun!

haha... anyway ill take some pics of my deck out and you will see exactly where i shove the wires n stuff...etc

ill respond when i get home tonight :) later all..

well, the Head Unit i want is a ALPINE CDA-9833 which according to my crutchfield catalog is 1/2 inch deeper then you're 9827 :evil: ...so...is there room to make this FIT!?...it is 6 3/4" deep!... :roll:

well if you have some time to take off the plastic peice covering your deck (the peice with the fog light switch) take the 5 screws out and then remove the deck, i beleive there is just plastic back there, id imagine just take your dash off along with you current deck, make shure there are no wires blocking you and use a dremil to cut away and make the hole deeper. but befor you go ahead and do this, id hate to be wrong so let me check with some other people on whats underneath the plastic that is blocking you from incerting the deck of your choice. mmmk

at my friends house watching the game, little messed up right now so i think this is my last post for tonight, ill let you know tommorow :-0