Parking brake troubles

91GPSTE

Ok this is driving me nuts! When I got my car the parking brake was stuck so I had to hammer the pads out to get it free. Then I think I fixed it for a while, don't know what was wrong with it really. But a few days ago I begin to hear grinding noise coming from the rear driver side wheel. Today I take off the wheel and outer pad is gone, I was braking with metal part of the pad. I installed brand new pads last summer and passanger side pads are still thick while driver side is gone from the outside but inner pad is good too. Obviously my driver side rotor is warped, I was actually able to see it with my eye. Just wondering is this a common problem with these cars? How the hell can I fix the parking brake so it stops sticking? Any way to just unhook it so I don't have it at all?

i had this problem. anyhow to fix it you probably need a new calliper

install it and new pads and rotors, then this is where it gets strange.

set the parking brake and realease about 100 times, seriously.

mine did this then i was told that this works, so a friend and i changed the calliper, rotor and pads, and i was able to jack the rear of the car up and spin the wheel freely, haven't had any problems since then.

Why would I need to change my caliper? Oh and the parking brake is not stuck this time. I set it a few weeks ago and then released it and noticed that the light was still on so I just drove like that for about a mile and set and released it again on a stop light and the light disappeared. But I think it didn't release fully and was eating up my brake pad. Also the parking brake cable was hanging low under the car.

well you never know when/if it will stick again.

what you oughta do is jack that corner of the car up and try and spin the wheel, it will probably be difficult to turn.

then get in and set/release the parking brake about 100 times, it sounds really retarted but it works.

I'm 99% sure it's got nothing to do with your parking brake. Your caliper slides are frozen. Instead of buying a new caliper, just get replacement slides. I hammered the old slides out of my caliper, cleaned up the bores, and put new ones in. I got my slides at carquest, they came with new boots for the ends of them, for about $20.00 per caliper. I only needed the drivers side though. My rear brakes work perfectly now, although my parking brake cables are shot. I just put a vice grip on the parking brake lever on the caliper and ratchet the mechanism every oil change, just to keep everything adjusted and moving.

Ok here is the deal. Took the wheel off. Outer pad is gone, I was braking with the metal part and rivets. Rotor is warped. Caliper pins are not stuck as I cleaner and lubricated them last year so I can move them freely with my fingers. Parking brake lever hower that is mounted to the caliper was pretty seized up, I had to hammer it back and fourth along with some WD-40 to get it to move. Now the bad, I took the nut off that holds the lever in place and removed it and started to turn the bolt/nut that sticks out of the caliper with a wrench and the piston popped out. Well it didn't pop out completely and no brake fluid leaked but it popped out of the rubber about a half way. I tried screwing it back in but it won't go. Anyone know why? Do I have to push and turn at the same time or something? Also do I turn clockwise or counter clockwise? Does it make sense to take the caliper apart and clean it, etc. and put it back together? I would have to bleed my brakes then I know which is not something I want to do because I don't have anyone to help me until Friday and I have to be at work on Monday and this is the only car that I currently have plates for.

Just an update. I took the caliper apart. Both guide pins are chipped at the ends and scratched up on the inside and one of the sleeves has a hole in it. Will be replacing those on Monday.

Can someone tell me, when parking brake lever is installed into place should it be able to move freely by hand? Because when I put it on and tightened it after cleaning everything it was still tight. Not as tight as it was before but still tight.