Help an amature Rocket scientist with my tranny.

I've got a 90 Euro 3.1. trans would not go into 3 or 4th gear for a couple of miles. then it stopped going anywhere. turned it off and let it sit a minute or two, now goes for a few blocks in 1st and high/late shift to 2nd and then it goes nowhere until i do the shutdown, wait a few cycle again. if the pump is bad: why do it go? if the torque conv is bad: same thing? i am thinking the filter might be plugged 'cause the fluid is nice and pink and not black and yucky. I need this car back in biz soon and i dont want to spend more than i paid for it on a trans. i checked fuses, but am i missing something? yes the fluid is on the mark. this just started out of the blue. btw which trans is this 440 or 4t60?

Bob

I cant help you on the tranny, but as for the last question you asked, its either or. The 440-T4 is the same transmission as the 4T60, 4T60 was just an updated number which started in '90 or '91 i believe.

Unfortunately, that could be a bunch of different things. Thats why the shop said "new tranny".

If you want to, you could try to replace the filter and fluid. I doubt it will help, but wouldn't you kick yourself if that was all it needed and you junked the car? It'll cost you $50-$75 at the most.

Jason

I've had my lock up torque converter go bad too on my 90 Euro. Car would get going up to highway speed 4th gear (actually still 3rd right? but when the torque converter engages it feel like another shift?) anyways it would be in 4th and then not come out of 4 when stopping= stall and would not restart cause still in 4th. Hope this helps in troubleshooting what might be wrong with yours. Almost $1000 to fix :(