White Face Gauges

terryk2003

hey...i was wondering if anyone has these gauges in their Grand Prix or Cutlass : http://www.makotoautotrends.com/store-detail.asp?sku=M%2DPT94GP%2D1704RGX&maker=PONTIAC&dbname=onlinestoreDB ...if so, do you have any pics of them installed or @ night?...do you like them?...i'm considering getting these for my cutlass. ALSO...i found needles that light up BLUE : http://www.importcarpartsplus.com/Needles.htm ...does anyone know if the stock needles on the Cutlass are CLEAR PLASTIC?...

I can tell you the needles aren't clear, but they are translucent. I'm absolutely sure they'd be compatible with the "intelliglow" needles you found, since they do illuminate.

I'm contemplating putting on the "Reverse Otto" gauge overlay for the GP on my Regal (94-96 Regal, GP, and Cutty clusters are identical except for the overlay fonts.) A couple of the idiot lights are mismatched (like the GP has "Second Gear Start" where the Regal has "Cruise") so I'm going to get an aluminum bezel from SpeedHut and paint it black. I'll then cut out all of the idiot lights from the new overlay (using the bezel as a template) so only the gauge faces are white, and all the original idiot lights will show through (and since the bezel is black, they will blend in.) I also have a GP cluster on the way, which I'm mainly using for the amber needles, cause the white needles will be camouflaged with the white overlay. I'll post pics for sure when I get the project underway...

I would like to get a set for my cutty, but I want the ones where the entire faces light up at night, not the "reverse glow" that almost all the guage faces have gone to recently.....

....I have a spare GP cluster to install the guage faces one once I get them so I don't mess up my cutty one....

how did you make you're needles blue?...i'm thinkin those "intelliglow" needles are kinda pricey and they are kinda bright and could get a little ANNOYING when going on trips in the dark...i'd like to just make my needles blue, or GLOW BLUE...

How did you go about makin thosew? And those needles! Wow.. If I were keeping ym Analog dash, Id make my own white faces, lol..

I have a write-up I did on it saved on my computer. How do I submit it so it can be added to the "upgrades" section?

well, i broke down and ordered the white face gauges...i STILL don't know about the "intelliglow" needles...i'd like to just make my own blue needles..if ANYONE know's how i can do this, please let me know...

Looks like you have the wrong mileage there. :lol:

Unless you really have 281 miles.

The 281 miles is how many miles are on my car since the engine was rebuilt. It's alot easier to remember oil changes when the miles aren't all weird.

well, i broke down and ordered the white face gauges...i STILL don't know about the "intelliglow" needles...i'd like to just make my own blue needles..if ANYONE know's how i can do this, please let me know...

To change your needle color: Using a razor blade or very fine sandpaper scrape along the back of the needle. It is just orange paint on them so after a bit of scraping it will come off. Wash and dry them, then put Gallery Glass Window Color – made by Plaid (whatever color you want) on the back and let it dry. The paint can be found at Walmart in the Arts & crafts section. It's for making window decorations that look like they are stained glass. I think mine was like $1.99 a bottle.

The 281 miles is how many miles are on my car since the engine was rebuilt. It's alot easier to remember oil changes when the miles aren't all weird.

How'd you roll the miles back? I want to roll mine back to the new engines actual miles. (car is at 210,000km engine is at 7700km)

put Gallery Glass Window Color – made by Plaid (whatever color you want) on the back and let it dry.

how did you apply it?...did you brush it on or airbrush it on?...i got some of the paint last night...i got ROYAL BLUE...i brushed it on some clear plastic but you could see the brush stroks in it...it looked kinda funky...anywayz, my white gauge face is supposed to be here by next friday, so i will post pics when i get it installed...

put Gallery Glass Window Color – made by Plaid (whatever color you want) on the back and let it dry.

how did you apply it?...did you brush it on or airbrush it on?...i got some of the paint last night...i got ROYAL BLUE...i brushed it on some clear plastic but you could see the brush stroks in it...it looked kinda funky...anywayz, my white gauge face is supposed to be here by next friday, so i will post pics when i get it installed...

I just ran the tip of the paint bottle across the back of the needle, like how you'd spread superglue onto something.

ok...another question....do they still light up good @ night?...or are they hard to see?...this stuff seems transparent...but only to an extent...how bright are they?...do you have any night pix?