Transverse Leaf Spring Bushings

WhiteOut

I finally got around to fixing the "custom" squeak my cars rear end has been making for a month now. I jacked her up to find that one of the rubber end caps for the leaf spring was gone and the other was kinda squashed and rapped around the very tip of the leaf spring all half assed like, it had also been worn though and was about twice its original size due to wear. Gee, I wonder why my rear end squeaked?

Anywho I went looking for the Moog Chassis part (part no. K6544) and I couldn't find it so I went to NAPA and got their brand instead, it ended up costing a mere $9.25.

Anywho the install was pissing me off at first since I couldn't get the leaf spring to go up far enough to allow me to slip the part in. I ended up having to use a floor jack to get the rear off the ground and then use a bottle jack with a piece of 2x4 cut into a wedge on the leaf spring itself so that I could get enough leverage on the leaf spring to slip the part in. The damn trailing arm makes getting a jack in there a tight fit so the wedge was essential during the install. Once I had everything figured out it may have taken all of 10 minutes to complete both sides. The ride quality over bumps is improved greatly, and I no longer have the embarassing squeak every time some one moves in my back seat, or when I hit a bump, or brake or move down the road. Kick ass.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found the pad on the driver's side of my Regal was completely wasted, so I'm going to be making the trip to NAPA tomorrow. I understand from what's been posted that you have to place both sides of the car up on jackstands (I'd assume to take all of the tension off of the spring) and use the jack (with a small block of wood) to jack up the leaf a tiny bit to slide in the new bushing. Okay, my question is, do you have to remove the wheels and shove the old bushing out the other side, or can you leave the wheels on and scrape the bushing out towards the middle of the car? Follow me?

I just don't want to spend any time removing the wheels if it's un-necessary, that's all...

Thanks for the post about this, cause I was suspecting my struts were bad at first...

I only had to remove one of my wheels. I also had to use a hammer and a long ass screw driver to tap that one side in. The other side however slipped in quite nicely from the rear without any need to remove the wheel or "coax" it. It will pretty much depend on how close you can get the jack to the end of the spring when putting leverage on it.