Has anyone thought about ... :?:

cityrider

While I get ready to do some brake line repairs today, I was thinking to myself; "...manufacturers should be mandated by law to make such critical components such as gas and brake lines out of stainless steel to eliminate rust outs for both safety and environmental considerations."

Has anyone considered as a secondary effort , installing a block of magnesium to critical areas of their vehicles? From an electrochemistry perspective, the usage of 2 disimilar metals causes an electrical potential, now from high school chemistry as I remember it, Magnesium has a higher oxidation potential , when connected (fused or welded) to steel; Magnesium will decay before steel, thus prolonging the life of the steel components. I know this is common practice to weld a block of magnesium to steel tanks installed below ground.

What do you think... :?: :?: :?:

Magnesium will ignite if there isnt any corrosion/oxidation surrounding the outer layer. Just use some Rustoleum spray or something, any paint will protect the steel to a certain degree

Ok, I skipped Chem class most of the time and fell asleep when I attended...

BUT I don't think this theory is sound. For magnesium to act as a sacrificial anode, it has to be in an electrolyte solution. This is why it's possible for this to work on an ocean liner (underwater) or underground, but in the air, I don't think it could work.

For it to work in air would require it to be distributed all over the surface of the metal.

Of course, like I said, I caught my Zzzzzz's in chem class so I could be way off.

The best way I've ever seen to protect brake lines, is the method used in the 1980's Saab 900's. The brake lines were run INSIDE the car, greatly reducing the amount of exposed brake line.

i dont think that would be a cost effective solution. but i saw an electronic system that puts a chage on the whole car to prevent corosion, that would work and cover more of the car.

Now I KNOW that definitely would NOT work because an electrolytic reaction requires an electrolyte solution! Air is not an electrolyte solution so the electrolytic reaction cannot take place.

Those products are crap.

Now I KNOW that definitely would NOT work because an electrolytic reaction requires an electrolyte solution! Air is not an electrolyte solution so the electrolytic reaction cannot take place.

Those products are crap.

there is no reason this would not work.the system puts an electric charge on the whole car so that the chemical reaction of oxidation can not work.

im not sure that i have the polarities correct but the theory is the chemical reaction (rust) needs neg ions(atomicaly the lack of electrons in the outer shell)on the car normaly gotten from moisture so the system puts a pos. charge( excess of electrons or full outer shell) so that the reaction cant take place.

Those products are crap.

there is no reason this would not work.the system puts an electric charge on the whole car so that the chemical reaction of oxidation can not work.

im not sure that i have the polarities correct but the theory is the chemical reaction (rust) needs neg ions(atomicaly the lack of electrons in the outer shell)on the car normaly gotten from moisture so the system puts a pos. charge( excess of electrons or full outer shell) so that the reaction cant take place.

Try it then and you'll see! :read:

The car's body already has a negative electric charge with reference to the battery positive lead, yet this hasn't stopped rust from occurring on cars with negative grounded chassis.

No electrolyte, no reaction.