Torque Converter Clutch fails to lock up?

Rob95CS

Here's my problem... on a cold start, my torque converter clutch will engage properly in overdrive (engages at 45 mph) for usually around 20 miles of normal driving. After that, it will just quit engaging, causing my engine to be running about 2300 RPMs at 55 MPH instead of the normal 1900 RPMs and my gas mileage suffers considerably at higher speeds. If I drive it harder than normal like pushing it hard to pass another car, or even taking off quickly from a stop sign, it will quit engaging even sooner. It won't start working properly again until my engine cools for a while in the driveway.

Any idea on what may be causing this? There are no unusual sounds coming from the TC and the car drives fine other than this.

You could replace the TCC Solenoid. Depending on the motor you have. I have a 2.8 and it was pretty simple to swap out. Mine was just the opposite though, it was keeping the Torque Convertor locked up so it would stall and die when I came to a stop.

• 4 weeks later...

thats a common problem (raises hand) I forgot what exactly causes the problem, but GM released a TSB on it, I have yet to look it up but I think a new solenoid solves it. Not the hardest thing for me to do, but I have some experience with dropping the frame and messing w/ the trans.

thats a common problem (raises hand) I forgot what exactly causes the problem, but GM released a TSB on it, I have yet to look it up but I think a new solenoid solves it. Not the hardest thing for me to do, but I have some experience with dropping the frame and messing w/ the trans.

Brian, I believe that TSB had something to do with the solenoid grounding internally or something to that nature.

I wouldn't doubt it. It sucks too because before the solenoid just quits working, it will engage lockup but like only halfway, so the rpm will drop but when you accelerate a little bit, the tach moves up a little without disengaging. THats NOT supposed to happen and I think it's as bad as driving a stick shift with the clutch halfway down. So when I see that happen, I'll take my foot off the gas (disengaging lockup) then accelerate hard, that usually kills the solenoid for the remainder of the drive. As you can imagine I do a LOT of highway driving!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's my problem... on a cold start, my torque converter clutch will engage properly in overdrive (engages at 45 mph)...

It should also engage in 3rd gear. My TCC locks up at 33 MPH in 3rd at light throttle.

• 2 years later...

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my '90 Lumina 3.1 w/ the 4T60 trans. What is the typical root cause of this?... TCC solenoid itself? It sounds like a common problem.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jim

Here's my problem... on a cold start, my torque converter clutch will engage properly in overdrive (engages at 45 mph)...

It should also engage in 3rd gear. My TCC locks up at 33 MPH in 3rd at light throttle.

What?!?!? I've never heard of that. (But that Doesn't mean it doesn't exist)

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my '90 Lumina 3.1 w/ the 4T60 trans. What is the typical root cause of this?... TCC solenoid itself? It sounds like a common problem.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jim

The Torque Converter Lockup Soleniod. I've heard its a PITA and requires pulling the Trans to change. My Band-Aid fix was to put a free Trans Cooler (my dad gave it to me) on it to keep trans temp lower, since the TCC Soleniod only failed once it got hot, It helped a lot and it only failed on the hottest of days, or if you drove it thru town.

I did find the exact problem to my old tranny, it was the PWM solenoid. The TCC solenoid can still go bad, but the PWM is worse. Its sole function is to control fluid pressure to the solenoid for lock-up. Over time they succum to heat. Simple way to test this is to remove the ground connection on the main tranny plug for the PWM solenoid. It was position C. The only effect by doing this at least on '94-97 cars is the clutch will engage firmly rather than softly. I had no issue with this and it was nice having it back (till I blew that tranny, but that's another story).

BTW, pre '94 uses an accumulator piston to soften the TCC apply, instead of this PWM solenoid.

What?!?!? I've never heard of that. (But that Doesn't mean it doesn't exist)

Yeah, it should lock up in 3rd gear around 35mph with normal throttle.

Yet another reason my tranny blows :lol:

Brian whats this PWM/Accumulator Piston you speak of? And what do we disconnect to test it? Pics are Cool :willynilly:

<----Knows Little to Nothing About Transmissions :rolleyes:

Earlier tranny's (93 and older) the fluid is directed across a spring-loaded piston in the channel plate when TCC apply is commanded. This "softens" the apply so it doesn't apply harshly and startle the driver :lol: The PWM (pulse width modulated) solenoid effectively does the same task this piston would have done, only the PCM controls this electrically via regulating the fluid pressure. Cars with the PWM solenoid do not have a piston (accumulator) in the channel plate.

Like I said, I just removed the wire that the PCM variably grounds to control the PWM solenoid. I'll take a pic of the book literature, actually wait, here: Bottom diagram, location C:

4t60e_wiring.gif

Brian P., You're saying that disconnecting the PWM solenoid solved your TCC (slipping) problem? Since my Lumina is a '90 it would have the accumulator piston. Is there anything I could do with the accumulator piston to help my problem.

In my case the TCC is being commanded to lock, but there is not the correct amount of fluid pressure after it gets hot (so it will be fine for the first 20 min, then not work). I have installed a big trans cooler, but still have this issue.

Any suggestions to help fix my problem?

Also, how long will the transmission last with the TCC slipping? It hasn't gotten any worse over the past 8500 miles. Would it just die with no warning?

Thanks,

Jim

Yes, it solved my slipping problem when hot and apply failure after a length of driving. There's nothing you can do with the piston. TCC solenoids can still fail, but in my case it was the PWM solenoid. Not everyone with my setup will have the same problem. I tested my TCC solenoid and found it to be good.

just manually ground the TCC sol ground wire (would normally get grounded by the PCM) What I usually do is run a thin wire into the tranny plug's terminal, then run it up the hood, into the car thru the drivers door. When you want to test, touch the wire to bare metal, like a door panel screw to ground it. It should apply.

just manually ground the TCC sol ground wire (would normally get grounded by the PCM) What I usually do is run a thin wire into the tranny plug's terminal, then run it up the hood, into the car thru the drivers door. When you want to test, touch the wire to bare metal, like a door panel screw to ground it. It should apply.

Sweet

<--Looks around apartment for piece of wire...No Luck