TRANSMISSION SHUTTER!!

89Cutlass

Ive had this problem once before and it went away somehow for about a year now its doing it again it switiches to 4th gear at like 40 miles per hour and shakes i have to floor the gas pedel to get it to stop shaking its fine once you go faster than about 60mph. What can it be....

Thanks

Craig

Yea i just drove it and it is torque lock shutter. When i tap to the brake it disengages the torque converter but only for a second unless im holding my foot barley on the brake then it will stay unlocked. Its not extremly bad but very anoying. What can i do to fix this ive seen some tranny fluid aditives that claim to fix this.

??

Thanks

Craig

Yea i just drove it and it is torque lock shutter. When i tap to the brake it disengages the torque converter but only for a second unless im holding my foot barley on the brake then it will stay unlocked. Its not extremly bad but very anoying. What can i do to fix this ive seen some tranny fluid aditives that claim to fix this.

??

Thanks

Craig

read my above post, there is a fix for it

thanks alot can you tell me anything about trans go and how much and were can i contact them about this ???

thanks

Craig

tranny shops should be able to get it for you

I used to work at a tranny shop and we used to use ShudderGuard. It worked 90% of the time.

Other things you may want to possibly consider is the TPS sensor. If it is bad, the ECM will get false readings that will cause TCC lockup.

The first thing you should do is scan the car with a good real-time scanner such as a Snap On or MAC.

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, it is a wire or coil pack. I have had the same exact problem. At least one plug isn't firing cause of an arc. You need to figure out which one and either replace it or wrap it up in elec. tape. The reason the tranny shudders is b/c the engine and tranny are so fine tuned that it knows it's supposed to shift but it's short at least one cylinder, so it doesn't have the torque pressure to throw it to the correct gear. I feel your pain. I hated it cause I even knew when it was going to shudder. Hope this helps! ~josh

Guest Anonymous
All right, I had a stupid question for you guys. I have a 4T60. How do I know when my tranny's torque converter "locks-up"? Is that when it hits over drive?

Simply put, Yes.

• 2 weeks later...

TCC lock up switch could be bad. Go out to your car and look above the vac mod and pull the tcc connector out, take it for a drive, if it stops doing it then you switch may just be bad. The switch cost $8.50.