'89 Cutlass DIS

93CutlassSupreme

You can get some fun diagnostics though, press DEST, RESET, then enter mileage 8192.

what will happen?

It just shows a diagnostic screen that shows VSS status (H or High, L for low), fuel level in percentage, park lamps on or off, dimmer level, etc.

Here's my wiring... all soldered and heat shrunk, then taped.

IMGP0691.JPG

IMGP0695.JPG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• GutlessSupreme

• GnatGoSplat

• 99RegalGS

Heat shrink tubing.

It's a rubbery tubing that shrinks when heat is applied. Cut off a piece, slide it on the wire, then twist the 2 pieces of wire together, solder, then slide the heat shrink tube over the soldered joint. Use a lighter to heat it up, and it'll shrink to a tight vinyl covering that's as durable as wire insulation and it won't come off. I use it on all my wiring as it's weather-tight (prevents oxidation) and very strong. Don't have to worry about it unraveling in the future.

did you hear that shit, Tony? Shawn doesn't like our wiring skills!!!!!!!

:lol:

pff, now I REALLY wish I had more detailed pics of the harness for my windows/locks before I put it in the car :lol: probably would've had heart failure.

Heat shrink tubing.

It's a rubbery tubing that shrinks when heat is applied. Cut off a piece, slide it on the wire, then twist the 2 pieces of wire together, solder, then slide the heat shrink tube over the soldered joint. Use a lighter to heat it up, and it'll shrink to a tight vinyl covering that's as durable as wire insulation and it won't come off. I use it on all my wiring as it's weather-tight (prevents oxidation) and very strong. Don't have to worry about it unraveling in the future.

oooo.. sounds spiffy. sell it at radio shack and the like I assume?

did you hear that shit, Tony? Shawn doesn't like our wiring skills!!!!!!!

:lol:

pff, now I REALLY wish I had more detailed pics of the harness for my windows/locks before I put it in the car :lol: probably would've had heart failure.

Hahah! Yeah, I've been told I'm kinda particular about stuff.

I once spent almost an hour futzing around with the trunk alignment on the 94 because of a 1/16" difference in the gap between one side and the other.

Heat shrink tubing.

oooo.. sounds spiffy. sell it at radio shack and the like I assume?

Yeah, Radio Shack has some. Harbor Freight has a variety pack of different size and colors. I prefer the more pliable 3M stuff. I had to order that from Digi-Key.

what's the minumum coolant temp it will display?

whenever i start the engine cold, the dis reads 73* F and then warms up from there.

come to think of it, my coolant temp gauge is the same. from a cold start, it jumps up a little bit instead of starting from the low peg. they have to get the signal from the same place so that makes me wonder...

what's the minumum coolant temp it will display?

whenever i start the engine cold, the dis reads 73* F and then warms up from there.

come to think of it, my coolant temp gauge is the same. from a cold start, it jumps up a little bit instead of starting from the low peg. they have to get the signal from the same place so that makes me wonder...

I wonder if thats how hot the initial spark is, or maybe when it first starts the initial combusting, it's like 73*.

It goes well below 73. I don't remember the lowest I've seen it though.

hmm. wonder why that's the lowest mine will display

I bet its that warm because it's summer time. Wait until it starts getting real cold out...

It goes well below 73. I don't remember the lowest I've seen it though.

hmm. wonder why that's the lowest mine will display

I bet its that warm because it's summer time. Wait until it starts getting real cold out...

damnit!!!!! don't talk about cold weather!!!!!!

anyways, i hope that's it. i don't feel like draining coolant and changing temp sensors

You can get some fun diagnostics though, press DEST, RESET, then enter mileage 8192.

Holy crap I didn't know that! Any other weird tricks with the info center? Almost makes me want to go out to the car and try it.

Would a grand prix dic work in a cutlass? I like its looks better, and my dash dosen't come down lower that the climate control. I would rather switch to bucket seats with a floor shifter.

Would a grand prix dic work in a cutlass? I like its looks better, and my dash dosen't come down lower that the climate control. I would rather switch to bucket seats with a floor shifter.

I am going to put one in my Cutty as soon as it arrives from Davis.....

you can get that piece from a yard cheap as hell

my dash was flat there, i just added the larger panel to fit the dis

i paid $10

it takes 5 minutes to install too.