'89 Cutlass DIS

93CutlassSupreme

i have a few questions -

what connector am i looking for to see if my car is prewired for this? I have climate control, so i probably should be pre-wired, right? anyone have a picture of what i need?

if i'm not prewired, can someone give me a write-up or something about how to install this?

i'm sure i'll add to this with more questions

thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 93CutlassSupreme

• GutlessSupreme

• GnatGoSplat

• 99RegalGS

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=112347&highlight=dis#110058

few colors on the DIS pigtails themselves might be a bit different. #s all fit the description, just colors vary by year it seems. Just cut into wires that you need, splice em, soder if you want (I just elec. taped them and they hold fine, if you soder you should tape them anyway though), use decent lengths of wire so you have room to play with (like if you need to remove the dash panel it mounts it, so you have enough wire to pull it out decently without having to unplug).

i'm gonna get under my dash soon, i never paid attention to the wiring there before

so there's two connectors i'm looking for? a black and a blue one?

how can i improvise? just crimp on additional wire?

What I did was I went to the parts store and bought some GM mini connector things that slid onto the pins. Then I got some wire and basically made my own connector and leads. then I connected the leads to the approprate wire.

I was going to scan the page from my serivce manual but the scanner isn't working. But I didn't have the service manual when I installed mine, so I used the same info that GutlassSupreme provided.

Doesn't hurt to look. The connectors would be taped up on the climate control harness. I don't think there were any major changes between 90-93 so you might still have the connectors who knows.

I would recommend heatshrink, solder, and then tape to bundle it all together into a factory-looking harness. Hahah, twist & tape, I don't think it gets anymore ghetto than that.

Hahah, twist & tape, I don't think it gets anymore ghetto than that.

If I only had good pics of my lock/window harness before I put it in the car.. :lol: :lol:

do i have to remove the climate control to access the wires?

what i'm getting at, is if i don't have the connectors, are the wires still there, just chilling out up there, bare without a connector?

No. You'll have to remove the CC to check for the connectors, but none of the wire's you'd have to splice if you didn't have them are behind there. You'll want to remove the cluster, the light switch, and possibly the driver side kick panel, I can't remember if the ALDL connector is easily accessable with it still in place.

tapthatshit.jpg

(no, you don't need to remove the dashpad :lol: that was during my power window install)

fkingslob.jpg

IMG_4123%20(Medium).jpg

That's where I taped the light wire... just remove the two 7mm hex head bolts and pull the plastic piece where the vent/switch is (there's also a metal clip attached to the vent that goes into the dash.. it'll pull right out, it's on the bottom, just give the whole thing a good tug). You could tap that wire further up near the cluster harness too if you can find the right wire. That was my first experience with the dash apart (wiring the DIS) so I just pretty much followed the instructions in that other topic word for word.

also, not circled is the ALDL connector because you can't see it in the pic... don't forget about it.

thanks for the pictures. i'm a visual learner.

no problem, I'm the same way. If someone tries to explain something to me outloud it goes in one ear and out the other.. I need visual or hands on learning.

That's where I taped the light wire... just remove the two 7mm hex head bolts and pull the plastic piece where the vent/switch is (there's also a metal clip attached to the vent that goes into the dash.. it'll pull right out, it's on the bottom, just give the whole thing a good tug). You could tap that wire further up near the cluster harness too if you can find the right wire. That was my first experience with the dash apart (wiring the DIS) so I just pretty much followed the instructions in that other topic word for word.

also, not circled is the ALDL connector because you can't see it in the pic... don't forget about it.

thanks for the pictures. i'm a visual learner.

no problem, I'm the same way. If someone tries to explain something to me outloud it goes in one ear and out the other.. I need visual or hands on learning.

what is the ALDL connector? where is it?

what gauge wire should i buy to splice into the harness?

whatever you want. Hell, I used telephone wire, even for the power/grounds. works fine.

the ALDL connector is directly under and to the right under your steering column and kick panel. it's a diagnostic connector.. can't miss it. it's black.